Logo

1996 48hp Johnson lower unit clancking

Nickpetrinko

Hey all. I have a 1996 48 hp Johnson with lower unit issues. When put into forward and reverse gear at very low throttle it makes a clanking noise, when throttle advance slightly it goes away. there is no abnormal wigging of the prop haft, also the prop is new. First thought was clutch dog wen bad. I pulled lower unit, inspected all parts and found no signs o damage on any of the gears, shaft etc.... I had the parts already so I replaced all seals ad t clutch dog. Put everything back together and makes the same noise.
I checked all the shift linkage and all is good there.
Thought it might be the bearings on the prop shaft so I replaced them all next. You guessed it, same noise! Next I removed my lower unit again and tried my brothers lower unit ( same motor ), makes NO noise so that verifies its in my lower unit.
I have NOT replaced any of the drive shaft components or forward/reverse/pinion gears. my local machine shop verified the gears are not excessively worn. not ready to start looking for used lower unit yet.
I need help!!!!! the motor is other wise in great shape. and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

It may be the prop causing the rattle.-----Clutch dog on the gears.---What oil is in the lower unit ?----Try using a stick on the end of the prop as a " brake " to see if it is the prop bouncing.---Assuming this is all on a hose

It may be the prop causing the rattle.-----Clutch dog on the gears.---What oil is in the lower unit ?----Try using a stick on the end of the prop as a " brake " to see if it is the prop bouncing.---Assuming this is all on a hose
Quick silver brand lower unit oil. Open to recommendations on different oil. Just to be clear I’m trying to keep the prop from spinning with the piece of wood correct?

I say a loose prop, or excessive wear in the prop splines. Try your brother's prop on your motor. Actually, I think it is somewhat common for the stainless props to make a noise when shifting while running on muffs.

I say a loose prop, or excessive wear in the prop splines. Try your brother's prop on your motor. Actually, I think it is somewhat common for the stainless props to make a noise when shifting while running on muffs.

i failed to mention it does the same thing when in the water.
I’ve already tried changing props, same result. I’ll recheck the splines but nothing noticeable. I’m stumped 🤔.

Back