Logo

1966 Pinion Gear Removal

solarman

I'm restoring a 1966 Johnson 80hp with electric shift. It sat outside and the front of the gear case is cracked. I'm assuming water frozen inside.
I've removed the reverse coil, reverse drive, and propeller shaft. I can't get the pinion gear to come out. I've attached a picture of it.
Also, I'm looking for a good lower gearcase, part #378517.
Appreciate any help.
Gear Case-Pinion Gear.jpg

Your location ?-----Split the gearcase and it will all fall apart.---Have a few of those cases on hand.----They have new ones on hand on this site too $200 ,but you may need more parts as well.----Thrust bearing may be corroded.

Last edited:
I'm in Iowa. I was hoping I could just remove it without having to cut it open. The manual makes it sound like it should come out easily. Is there something else that could be holding it up?
How much for a gear case?

I have a '66 Evinrude 80hp and the gearcase is one piece. It doesn't come apart. I'd like to know how to disassemble too.
Thanks

Does it just not lift out when you have the bottom section removed ???-----I have about 5 or 6 of these units laying around but have not worked on or looked at one for some time.---Post a picture looking down on the pinion from above.

It's just not coming out. The shop manual says to tilt it forward and remove from the gearcase head opening, but I can't seem to get it out.

I suspect your problem is somehow related to the broken case. The pinion and forward gears should be loosey-goosey and come apart with ease, pinion out the back (aft) end of the case first, then the forward gear. Perhaps rust or a broken bearing is holding the forward gear solid.

OR, are the flat pinion thrust bearings still on the pinion? Maybe they are keeping it from tilting enough to come out. We are all so used to those things just falling out that we don't even think about it.

BTW, what is that forked part doing under the one stud? That doesn't look right. Has somebody else been in there?

I think he put that on there to remind himself that it goes on the back stud at re-assembly.-----To do with the wire going into the case I think.----Been a long time since I worked on one !

Yes, it is the shift cable retainer that holds the wires in place. I put it there so I wouldn't lose it. I don't think the crack in the case is bad enough to cause my problem, but I think fdrgator maybe correct that rust might be causing it. It sat outside for a couple of years. I will soak it down with penetrating oil and see if that loosens things up. I'll let you know. Thanks for all your help.

Back