Logo

Ignition switch further to post of 10/10/17

jackman

Contributing Member
Inline fuse ign. switch to rev-counter blew again when I turned engine over. Accompanied by intermittent bleep and then constant bleep. What does the bleep indicate? Any help appreciated.

Ayuh,.... In this thread, ya say it's an ole 228hp Merc, which I believe pre-dates any alarms,...
So why don't ya tell Us what yer workin' on, 'n maybe include the serial numbers,...

The Merc alarm systems for non-efi motors are for low oil pressure, high water temp, 'n low oil supply for the drive, if equipped with the remote oil bottle,...
It works by the switches goin' to ground,....

As noted above, 'n in yer other thread, a dead short blows fuses, so try disconnectin' the offendin' appliance, the tach,...

Engine No. is 4902956 but is not recognised. Engine I think is 1978 vintage. Probably getting past its sell-by date. Anyway I'll perserve. Thanks for the info' to both of you.

Blown fuse to tach.... The connection to the tach is just a convenient feed point for power to the instruments. While the tach is possibly the problem, its not likely. Per Bondo... with that vintage engine, if there is power to the engine and the engine doesn't run, i.e. no oil pressure you will get a constant beep. find the short.

Back