Logo

Help with identifying mariner 6 cylinder 115 hp engine

who

Hi Everyone, I've just purchased a 1/2 cab antique with a 80's Mariner 6 cylinder 2 stroke 115 outboard. It's an Australian motor with a serial number of 8055436. I'm hoping someone might help me identify the year, and tell me whether it was manufactured by Mercury, or someone else?

I will do a comp test tomorrow, and if that works out okay, I'll have to give it a complete service, which leads me to the Question of a manual. Does anyone know of a genuine online PDF version of the owners and workshop-service manual, or have a copy they could email me?

I don't think this boat has been started in 20 years, story is it was serviced and never used again. the plugs indicate this may be true. There is a huge amount of work to be done to get it up and running and working again, but I'm up for it!

Thanks in advance for any help, Cheers,
Ralph

It is a MERCURY with a grey paint job.------In my opinion actual year does not matter.----Condition does.------Most were the same parts year after year on that era.

It is a MERCURY with a grey paint job.------In my opinion actual year does not matter.----Condition does.------Most were the same parts year after year on that era.

Hi Thanks for that, would it be a mercury red band then?

I would like to know year, so I can say when I'm ordering parts "it's a 19## 115 mariner 6 cylinder" :)

I'm just setting up to do compressions. If they check out I'll start on the rest of it. It needs a new engine loom which I will make up, I'll replace the water pump, leads, do these engines have points in the distributer?

The boat needs a new floor and bearers, it's a big job, but if I get a good vintage boat out of it, I'll be more than happy. Cheers.

Not likely a " red band " motor.----?????--Points, big MERCS have not used points since about 1967 -----Parts are ordered using the serial # and NOT a model year !!!

Not likely a " red band " motor.----?????--Points, big MERCS have not used points since about 1967 -----Parts are ordered using the serial # and NOT a model year !!!

Okay, I joined a forum because I was interested in advice, not condescension. I'm a licensed FAA aircraft engineer, and a FAA master parachute rigger.

Outboards for me are a new domain, I'll learn, but I was hoping for a bit of help.

Mercury as I understand it had a red band (on the cowl) series, and a later blue band series. If the Mariner is rebadged mercury you would expect it fell within one or the other of these groups.

???----Perhaps you are not aware that Mariner was not marketed when " red band " MERCURY (1971 was last year of red band ) was on the market.------Is there a belt driven distributor on this motor , yes or no ?-----Are there 6 coils on it and 2 switch boxes, yes or no ?-----Post some pictures of it !!

Back