Logo

Evinrude 20 hp not running smooth at idle or 1/4 throttle

the-outdoorsman

It is a 1990 model # E20CRESB. I did a compression check and top cylinder is 118 and bottom is 120. I bought this motor about 4 years ago. Ever since I have had it, when I run it around a 1/4 throttle it will sputter every 10 seconds. Once it is good and warmed up it is a lot harder to get it to sputter. It never dies though. If I open it up, it runs great. If I start from idle and open it all the way, it takes off and runs great without any sputter. It won't idle either' it dies or runs really rough. If I advance the throttle just a little it will idle then. The cam roller hits the two little notches just as the carb plate starts to open. I think this is correct according to my service manual. I have the low idle mixture screw set at 1 3/4 turns out as suggested in the manual. I have turned that in and out to see if I can make it run smoother and I think it is close at 1 3/4 turns as it runs best there but still will not idle. I rebuilt the card to try and fix the issue but had no effect. Anyone have an idea as to what else I can try. It runs really well at the top end. Also, I pulled the plugs which are new and they are a nice chocolate brown. Here is a video of it sputtering when the motor is not warmed up good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPY2erdLtmk&feature=youtu.be

I am have trouble verifying the cam roller position. This is a pic with my throttle turned all the way down to idle position. Should the cam roller be positioned between the two notches (circled area) when throttle is in idle position? As you can see mine is not. Or is this how it should be?
roller.jpg

This pic is of the position of the linkage when throttle is set to idle position. If I adjust this linkage, I think it will move the cam roller and Iam not sure what position it should be in when throttle is set to idle position.
linkage.jpg

Last edited:
Back