Logo

Electronics to display Crusader engine data

matta0413

Contributing Member
I have 2002 Crusader 8.1's. I am looking for a new electronics package for next season and I am interested in getting the engine data on the Multi Function Display. It is possible to hook these engines up to the newer electronics platforms?

I believe that it is possible. Your engine has (I believe) an MEFI controller. A company called Fox Marine (on the internet) makes a "gateway" for these controllers that plugs into the maintenance port and sends engine data in some sort of standard format to other types of marine displays. They also offer an App for download onto your phone or iPad that will connect by bluetooth and display the data. Sounds like it has the potential to replace the scanner for maintenance but I don't know how complete the accessible data package might be.

Perhaps some of our other posters have experience with the device. Cost is $275 per engine for the gateway.

I took a quick look at the Fox Marine web page. As for your desire to put on a multifunction display, they say:
What engine data is transmitted on the NMEA 2000 network?[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]Engine # (as determined by DIP switch), Engine RPM, Fuel Flow Rate, Coolant Temperature, Alternator/Battery Voltage, Engine Run Hours, & certain Active Alarms. [/FONT]
[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]
[/FONT]So that would likely satisfy your needs.

As for using the bluetooth linked display on your iPad to replace a scanner they say:
What engine data is transmitted via Bluetooth to the Fox Marine MEFI Engine app?
Variations apply for specific ECMs but a typical list includes the following: Engine RPM, Fuel Flow Rate, Coolant Temperature, Alternator/Battery Voltage, Engine Run Hours, Manifold Air Temperature, Manifold Pressure, Barometric Pressure, Throttle Percent, Spark Advance, Knock Retard, IAC Position, Desired Idle RPM, Engine Run Time, various Active and/or Logged Alarms: Engine Overtemp, Low Oil Pressure, Low System Voltage, General Warning 1, General Warning 2

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]That sounds pretty good IF they have also included the cam retard read out which is essential to properly set up these engines and at this point can only be done with a scanner. No reason I can think of that this device should not be able to get the information unless they have just neglected to include it in their software package.

If you decide to try one of these gateways, please be sure to let the rest of us know how it works out.
[/FONT]

Thanks guys. I have been looking at electronics and I am realizing two things.

1) Holy crap has the cost gone up since the last time I purchased any electronics
2) It is incredible what they can so now. The technology is truly incredible.

Simrad seems to be the cutting edge.

Back