Logo

Stops running after pumped fuel runs out

Just got my boat running after 3 years of storage, I bypassed the VRO, runs good until the fuel I primed has run out. Fuel pump issue, or something else?
I replace the fuel tank pick up, Tank Breather, and primer bulb, to no prevail. I tried feeding the motor with fuel from a Gas can to see if it was the tank, and still turns off after its used the fuel that I have primed in? Any suggestions, I desperate to get back on the Water. Thanks

Used the fuel that you primed in? If you're saying that you pump the fuel primer bulb up hard and the engine runs out until it burns what was pumped into the carburetor, then stops... yeah, that indicates a failed fuel pump, especially if the engine would continue running if you continued to pump that fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump).

What engine? I assume that by bypassing the VRO, you're using pre-mix fuel... did you keep the VRO as a straight fuel pump or replace it with a regular pump?

Thanks for your response,
I have a 2000 Johnson 150, yes I'm pre-mixing the fuel, runs better now without the VRO, and I'm still using the Fuel Pump from the VRO though

Try draining the carburator bowls, mine were full of what looked like 2-stroke oil. Drain then fill using bulb, drain again. My motor, a 99 175 did exactly the same thing. It had sat for the same amount of time.

Back