Logo

bad Vibration from Stern on DP-SM at certain trim

Tuttimon

I have a 2002 2601 Stiper with VolvoPenta 5.0Gi PEFS engine with a DP-SM drive. I bought it used 2 years ago and its been running as expected (good and consistent, but with headaches that i fix along the way) This problem has me and a few experts stumped. Im hoping someone out there is good enough to say "i told you so".
The story and facts:
One day while cruising at my normal cruising speed (25-29mph @ 3500rpm) a sudden vibration occured. This vibration can be felt now at different speeds but can be trimmed away (usually trimming down does the trick). No issues once i trim it away other than not being in my ideal position for fuel economy and speed, but it vibrates bad enough that i feel its only a matter of time until "it" breaks.
Ok so for all you Prop lovers out there, i had the props tested. they are (now) fine. I had one hub replaced but otherwise both props are good. After replacing the hub, the vibration problem still persists.
The funny thing is i then thought, U-joint, drive shft, and/or gimbal bearing. To my shock this year when i took the outdrive off (for the first time), I saw they are all brand new. U-Joint looks perfect, no scratchs, scrapes, or signs of rubbing. Gimbal bearing spins like butter.
I started digging deeper... removed the shift fork from the outdrive and to my shock again, the shift fork was brand new and the gears inside the lower unit were shiney new and in great condition (no signs of wear etc). The guy who sold me the boat never mentioned any of these things were new.

There was one problem i identified this year, when changing the gear oil, there is water. I filled it with compressed air and the only leak was from the casing around the shift fork's shaft. i dont see how this logically can be the cause of a vibration at a certain trim, but it wont be the first time Im proven wrong.

Thank you everyone who is willing to help

Back