Logo

1979 OMC 260/800 - No shift engine off.

tekati

I have a 1980 Sea-Ray 225 with a OMC 260 model: 990262S which is a 1979 260 with the 800 Sterndrive left the model off since it appears to only be used at the factory.

I just purchased this boat for REALLY cheap. The boat is really clean with low hours. It needs a stern drive water pump at minimum.

It does not shift with the engine off. Not sure if this is normal or not because I do not want to start and run the engine.

So with that background. I want to pull the stern drive. I want to replace the water pump. Of course drain and refresh all the oils looking for signs of leaks etc.

What parts do I want to order beforehand? Water pump kit, any gasket kits for either the upper or lower? The exhaust bellows (if they are called that on this model) are rotted away so I will be pulling the exhaust risers off both manifolds and checking for clogs and replacing the exhaust bellows.

Does the engine need to run to shift? Or do I more likely have some sort of other issue? Shift cable? Internal issues?

Ideas? Suggestions? Gotchas?

If the shift cable going into the drive is broken the price of a new one will shock you.------Do a good investigation before spending any money on parts.

Yea I have heard the price of a cable is EXTREMELY high. I am really surprised a company has not take that on. There is really nothing special about those cables.

Yea I have heard the price of a cable is EXTREMELY high. I am really surprised a company has not take that on. There is really nothing special about those cables.

Ayuh,.... Not enough demand,... OMC is Gone,... Stringer drives were antique technology by '86,....

In other words,... You bought a Dead Horse,...

Back