Logo

No power to ignition

jn1440

Contributing Member
This all started when the key would not shut down the engine, turn key off nothing happened except I got a pretty nasty shock. The tach started acting funny as well at the same time. Upon breaking the control box down and inspecting I found the ignition switch housing was cracked open, so I figured it must have been getting moisture in it making the switch go bad so change the switch easy fix. Oh boy was I wrong. Two weeks later and every wire has been ripped out of the boat it looks like an absolute disaster.

First Thing was replace the switch, easy enough but the starter would not turn over. There was power the buzzer and primer worked but no starter. Replaced the solenoid and boom the starter was back and everything seemed to function as advertised. However I lower the engine in the water to go for a test run and it all goes down hill from there. Turn the key on buzzer goes tach goes to 0 then I go to crank the engine and a get a sizzling noise and everything goes dead and has been the same way since.

No buzzer not primer no starter no tach its completely dead. Except the trim tilt that still works fine. 12.34v at the solenoid input post. Initially didn't get any voltage at the red connector bulb going to the box but discovered that the battery positive wire from the positive solenoid post was missing insulation in some places and corroded so replaced the wire and the inline fuse holder as the same thing was happening to it as well as some other wires and connectors on the engine wiring harness. Everything seems good on the engine side, 12.34v is ow reading in the red bulb connector going to the control box. At the control box the red feed wire to the switch is only reading 11.55v and everything is still dead. The box and cable are fairly new and un-butchered so no wire connections in the line from the box to the engine. I cleaned the red bulb connector with no change. My next move is the replace the cable from the box to the engine but I'm not sure. Was hoping someone had some input before I pull the deck apart to get this wire out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated this thing is driving me nuts.

The engine is a 1984 Evinrude 70HP.

The "sizzling sound" is the key here. You have some wires that are corroded internally and can't be seen. You'll just have to run voltage drops on the wires and find the bad ones.

Back