Logo

Evinrude 1988 8hp carburetor removal procedure

bogle

First post to this forum. Thanks for the resource! I am not getting fuel to the cylinders, after months of sitting, so planning a rebuild of the carburetor.

Seloc Manual, under Carburetor removal procedure, page 3-20, states: " Remove the manual starter from the top of the powerhead. Remove the 2 screws, then carefully tilt the starter assembly toward the front of the motor while taking care NOT to disengage the starter spring!"

I can tell I could use some advice on how NOT to mess this up.

I have referred to the section on the manual rewind starter. I did not find anything about a "tilt", but only removal which seems quite involved. I'd rather tilt.....so.lll

Do they mean the two (2) bolts in fig. 17 on Page 10-5? One is a slotted hex head and holds a timing marker/pointer. The other is a bolt.

Does this have the primer on the fuel system, beside the carburetor ?-----Using it properly ?----Yes those 2 screws are the ones.----You are overly concerned.-----Just did the same job on a 1980 and 1986 model.---------The recoil can be leaned forward to remove the screw for the cam follower.---Then the nuts for the carburetor.------If the recoil does come out it is fairly straight forward to re-install.

Last edited:
Does this have the primer on the fuel system, beside the carburetor ?-----Using it properly ?----Yes ....
Thanks for the confirmation and confidence! I will give it a try.

Yes, it has a primer and I have used it for years. In the top photo you can see some blue lettering on the primer handle.

The motor sat up for some months and had not been disconnected and run out of fuel, so I believe the carburetor must be full of fouled fuel gel and varnish.

Should I need to dismantle and clean out other parts of the fuel system, like the primer?

Last edited:
Thanks again. The removal and rebuilt went well, until reassembly revealed a new top cover is needed. While it is still apart I'd like to get advice on the nozzle well - part pictured below.

Nozzle-crop.jpg
Can someone please advise whether this nozzle well might be okay to continue use? There is a strangely eroded crack around the nipple seat as shown in the above photo. Nipple seems tightly in place, and is clear inside for fuel to pass through it.

I have had to order a new carburetor top cover, since the existing one is cracked and the threads were stripped such that it will not accept the cam follower bolt.

Just run a soft copper wire through the key and blow with air.

Thank you. I had blown it dry and clear, but was worried about that crack in the plastic. It is back in service in the carburetor and once I cleared the primer line nipple and orifice on the engine case just inside the caruretor (with a soft copper wire!) the primer could do its job. Engine is running well.

Again, thanks to all!

Back