Logo

Coils

They are scrap !!-----Cheap to replace them.-----Every one of those magnetos from 1960 and 1970's has had them replaced or needs a new set now.

Exactly but engine still runs good

Then you are experiencing a genuine miracle.... However, trouble is lurking around the corner. Replace them!

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creates friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

Will replace don't want any problem on the lake that can be stopped from happening by replacing. Is there any reason for timing to b off on old motors

When you get the motor running use a timing light.---Magneto always fires with mark on the flywheel between the vertical lines on the magneto plate.----And since the ignition is dual / seperate systems you need to check both leads.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP embossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

What causes the coils to get cracked and white stuff on them. Does it mean the engine was used a lot or can they get like that just from sitting for years

What causes the coils to get cracked and white stuff on them. Does it mean the engine was used a lot or can they get like that just from sitting for years

They just get old like a lot of crackpot people who's hair turns white, retire and quit working....... :cool:

Repeated heat and cool cycles over the years causes the plastic to shrink and become brittle with time. It's the same reason you see older cars with cracks and splits in the plastic on the dash. The plasticizer compounds degrade and changes the pliability of the material until it finally breaks.

KJ

When installing the coils.... The coil has a spiral prong within it that the plug wire screws onto with a twisting motion. A little WD40 helps as a lubricant.

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creates friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

They just get old like a lot of crackpot people who's hair turns white, retire and quit working....... :cool:
I am one of those chrack pot people you are talking about but just answer his question.
When a coil is wound the copper wires are separated buy greased paper and when fully wound more paper is unsed with usually a plastic coat to protect the windings. The coil can be still operational if this plastic cracks and if it is then I would suggest just re-covering it with a rubber sealent to keep out moisture.

When they are cracked it is just a matter of time before failure.-----They are cheap and less trouble to replace than to patch for more life from them !!!

I am one of those chrack pot people you are talking about but just answer his question.
When a coil is wound the copper wires are separated buy greased paper and when fully wound more paper is unsed with usually a plastic coat to protect the windings. The coil can be still operational if this plastic cracks and if it is then I would suggest just re-covering it with a rubber sealent to keep out moisture.

Nope, I was talking about myself with no intention of causing an offense to an old geezer like you. :) Just turned 85 last August 6 (anniversary of the Hiroshima Bombing) and still going strong. However my hair's still brown... maybe another 20 years or so! :cool:

Yes that the one on my carb there is a tiny hole that I only noticed when I had carb off and held it upside down. Fuel started coming out little hole. Is it supposed to be there

The carburetor bowl is vented to atmosphere.----It has to be or it will not work.----So if a carburetor is full and you turn it upside down fuel will leak out !

What would a person do put a thin coating of gasket sealant all over the whole thing or just cover the cracks
I'm with Racer, I'd replace them. But, if you want to give it a whirl I'd use some form of high temp epoxy, JB Weld, or similar material. Elastic materials like Plasti-Dip and coatings like that may not fair well. Personally I would coat the whole thing to allow the material to bond all of the parts of the old plastic together.

Back