Logo

Yamaha 2000 Model C40TLRY 2 stroke outboard

livin2fish

New to forum. An owner, not a mechanic. There is water getting into the lower unit of my outboard. The lower unit oil when drained is split pea soup colored. Motor still runs fine.
My questions are: Excluding the two screws used for adding and draining the lower unit oil, what are the other places where water can enter the lower unit? Could seals be damaged when the impeller is changed?
Just trying to get an idea of how complicated the problem might be before the motor sees a mechanic.
Thanks for any help.

Seals are not damaged when an impeller is changed !----In a cold / freezing climate ??-----Yamaha seals sometimes are " all rubber " and may not grip in housings after many years.-----Not an impossible job to install a seal kit yourself.

Seals are not damaged when an impeller is changed !----In a cold / freezing climate ??-----Yamaha seals sometimes are " all rubber " and may not grip in housings after many years.-----Not an impossible job to install a seal kit yourself.

Are there other points of water entry other than the seals?

Sorry---I guess your best approach is to hurry to a shop.---Have them pressure test the lower unit.----Ask them to fix the leak.----All it takes is $$$

If water has intruded into the gear box it's because you've got at least 1 bad seal. Good thing you caught it earlier enough before real damage was done. Depending on your level of comfort with engine mechanics, replacing seals is pretty straight forward. Make sure you have the specific model year service manual for your engine handy before digging in.

Thanks for your insights. With my level of expertise with engine mechanics, as "racerone" said, I "better hurry to the shop" and have a professional do the work.

Back