Logo

2006 BF 225 hp oil leak found

xsplicer26

Contributing Member
I bought the boat and motor used last December. I did the SB #56 already. Last week I had an oil leak down the starboard side of the engine.
Today i pulled the power head and found that the cover actually had a piece missing from the side.

It turns out it was coming from the mount rubber cover.

While taking apart the oil pan, I found a piece of metal. Bingo, it was a perfect fit to the mount cover.

I tried to upload pics, but couldn't get it to work.

I would like to thank all the Honda guys on this website that post information about these engines.After reading many threads that were answered by them, I was able to go ahead and do this myself. You all have been a great help to me while doing the work to find this leak.

I really appreciate all the time and knowledge given.

THANK YOU!

Well, congrats of doing all of that work yourself.

The great value of this forum is that everyone is more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences with these engines for the benefit of others. And the snarkiness is just about non-existent. It makes for a great forum. I've learned immensely from my participation over these many years. There are no dumb questions - just questions.

20171019_165701_zpsbtnflars.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20171019_165709_zpsmvbxpzmf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20171019_180405_zpst9k2efsu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20171019_180448%201_zpsp7mm3xgr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well it seems like Photoshop wants people to pay for usage now and that is why my pics in previous post have disappeared. So here are the pics.

20171019_165701 (Small).jpg

20171019_165709 (Small).jpg

20171019_180405 (Small).jpg

20171019_183504 (Small).jpg

20171019_180448 (1) (Small).jpg

I am so glad that I decided to remove the exhaust manifolds. When I did I discovered that the internal anodes were in very poor condition and will be replaced.

20171024_171406 (Medium).jpg

20171024_171412 (Large).jpg

That's a lot of good work. Congrats on that.

Thanks for posting those pictures. No one that I am aware of has done that before. It's a good illustration of where they are and what the bad ones look like.

Please do other's a favor and start a separate thread named something like "BF 225 Internal Anodes" and post those same pictures with an explanation. You might also want to post the part number for the anodes and replacement screw.

Thanks.

CHawk, took your advice and started a thread about the internal anodes.

Finished putting outboard back together, ran it a few times with muffs on and so far looking good. hoping to get out tomorrow to do a run and catch some rockfish.

20170508_195215 (Large).jpg

Yes, I saw that you posted the new thread. Thanks for that. Boat is looking good. However, be careful about running the BF 225 on muffs. They tend to overheat quickly.

Where specifically are you fishing for rockfish?

I'm on the lower Potomac and the only ones I've seen so far are undersized schoolies. Lots of bait out there, however.

Thanks CHawk.

When I first tried using muffs on my motor, I had problem with overheating. I then came up with this setup and it has work just fine.

[video]https://s.amsu.ng/eu0aBLkNM3RN[/video]

I'm out of the Nanticoke River and fish down off Deal Island, South Marsh and Bloodsworth. Have the same schoolies with an occasional keeper and plenty of bait also.

Had boat out 2 days in a row and the motor is running great, no leaks. checked oil level several times and it is staying on full.
Even managed to catch some keeps.
Thanks to everyone.

Back