Logo

Tohatsu 6hp MFS 6C won't start approx 20 hours

Dillonsullivan1

Hey everyone,

my my brand new tohatsu has about 20 hours on it and won't start. I have not had a problem with it yet but today I was unable to get it going. I am using an external tank. I switched over to the internal and still got nothing.

I removed the cowling and it looks like there is some dry salt around the spark plug. Should I change it?

Occassionally when hen I start the motor, the red light blinks for approximately 15 seconds and then turns off. As soon as it does, some smoke usually exits the motor.

I have had one other time where I had a hard time starting it. It eventually got going.

It it runs well at all speeds.

Any ideas?

-Dillon

Check ignition and check fuel. Verify oil level. Pull the plug and inspect it. Open the carb drain and see if fuel runs out. The red light is for oil pressure; it should be on when you start, and go off when running, so that's normal. Make sure you run the carb dry at the end of the day to reduce varnishing.

Thanks Paul. I noticed that when I take the cowling off, a lot of stuff isn’t rusted and corroded. Is this normal for only 20 hours? Also, the spark plug will not budge and seems salted in. This motor was purchased brand new about 5 months ago. It was not in use for about 3 months but it has seen a lot of action the last month.

I always rinse it and flush the motor no more then 15 minutes post usage.

-Dillon

Dillon,

In very corrosive environments, such as some salt water areas, things do corrode faster. That sounds normal. I would pull the plug to inspect it. Use a good 6-point 5/8 plug socket and the appropriate amount of force. The plug shell is steel, so it shouldn't deform. If the threads pull out of the head, that's a different story. If it's really stuck, and the motor will fire, the plug may come out more easily if the head is warmed up.

Paul,

i replaced the the spark plug and it started on the first pull. It worked great the whole day.

Thanks for your help. I read a ton of these forums and you consistently offer sound advice. I really appreciate the help.

Regards,

Dillon

Back