Logo

Water in oil

F

Frank Kadi

I had 2 cracked manifolds rep

I had 2 cracked manifolds replaced. When I first cranked it up I noticed water in the oil. Did an oil change and it ran clean.

Last weekend the boat would not start and I noticed water in the oil again. Durring a sever storm I failed to pull the drain plug. Is it possible for water to intrude into the oil pan if the bilge is full? Or do I have another problem.

4.3lx Mercruiser.

" Most likely another problem.

" Most likely another problem. Water would have to be pretty high to find a way into the engine. The oil pan doesn't let oil out so it won't let water in. I suppose the rear or front seal might admit a little bit. They are designed to sling oil back into the crankcase so I guess they will sling water in if the engine is running and sitting in this much water. I assume you drained the bilge before starting it so this is unlikely to be the source of a noticible amount of water. Do a compression test to check for a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. Since you had cracked manifolds, this is a good idea anyway. Did any of the rain pool on top of the engine? Water on top might find a way in. "

Back