Logo

Temp sensor issue

Jaybird88

1988 Regal w/ Mercruiser, 175 hP, V6 #OB967952
I just installed new temp sensor, subtitute for #806490T. The needle on the temp gage goes over to the beginning of the red line for "H" and stays there while running. The engine is NOT running hot. After a cool down the needle retreats. I think the needle should level off at or near the mid point between "C" and "H". I have three questions: 1. Could I have the incorrect heat sensor? 2. Can the heat gage be calibrated to adjust the needle? 3. Is my thermostat incorrect? If the gage is calibrated for 140 degree but my thermostat is a 190 degree, that would cause a high temp reading? Interested in your thoughts?

140 degree for direct raw water cooled in sea water. 160-170 degree for direct raw water cooled in "sweet water" or with a heat exchanger (closed cooling). 190 degrees ??? if this is the t'stat calibration, put it back in a car or truck where it belongs.

Can the heat gage be calibrated to adjust the needle?

Any gauge that operates on resistance can be calibrated to read correctly

1988 Regal w/ Mercruiser, 175 hP, V6 #OB967952
I just installed new temp sensor, subtitute for #806490T. The needle on the temp gage goes over to the beginning of the red line for "H" and stays there while running. The engine is NOT running hot. After a cool down the needle retreats. I think the needle should level off at or near the mid point between "C" and "H". I have three questions: 1. Could I have the incorrect heat sensor? 2. Can the heat gage be calibrated to adjust the needle? 3. Is my thermostat incorrect? If the gage is calibrated for 140 degree but my thermostat is a 190 degree, that would cause a high temp reading? Interested in your thoughts?
exactly WHAT substitute did you install. Its possible you installed sensor for a dual station setup.

Back