Logo

High speed jet removal

bspeth

Regular Contributor
I'm working on a 1967 6HP still,do I need a special tool to remove the high speed orfice in the carby? I don't want to booger it and I will purchase the tool if needed. Thank you-B

Yes, go to any BRP dealer and he can get you one. Or wait for awhile and somebody on here will show you how to make one.

You maybe can make one if you are talented and have suitable tooling to do it. I made a bunch of them and I can tell you that it is surprisingly difficult to make a screwdriver. The secret to the jet screwdriver is the flat sides of the blade must be parallel. Off-the-shelf screwdrivers have tapered blades, which tend to spread the slot in the soft brass jet. That means the harder you try, the tighter it becomes. End of the story is you then wind up drilling it out.

OK, OK, sure it might come out easy and none of that angst applies. How's your luck?

Attachments

• fixed jet screwdriver tip.jpg
    fixed jet screwdriver tip.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 82
Wow, that's surprising, I just checked the part number 0317002 here at marineengine and it comes up as obsolete. There has to be a new number for it. I'll check to see if I can find it.

Any chance you still have one more than you need Frank?I thought obsolete meant that there is no longer any use for it. Anyway thanksfor the explanation, maybe I will try to customize a store bought one.

I used to find a screw driver with the right size straight shank, cut the end off and then grind the proper end on it. I've got about 4 or 5 of different length ones.

I bought a few of these a few years ago. Being hollow-ground, they are almost parallel, good enough. I'll look tomorrow to see if I have any left. I'll let you know by PM if I do.

Attachments

• Fixed jet screwdriver.jpg
    Fixed jet screwdriver.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 86
That looks like one I made years ago except I had a nut welded on the end. Used it to get the lower jet out of a carb on a 1969 55hp.

The hollow ground bit that I pictured above is part number 5944A43 from mcmaster.com You might as well just order one direct from them. They don't cost much at all.

Thanks so much guys,it ships today. With all of the knowledge you guys share it really makes this hobby fun-Blair

Back