Logo

2007 Merc Sea Pro 25 - question on how to disconnect shift linkage

604boater

Hey so ive watched a couple of videos on how to disconnect the shift linkage on an outboard so I can replace the water pump. One showed a nut connecting the linkage, another showed a plastic and metal clip, my motor has neither. All i can see is a connector with two small pins right above the lower unit. Is this where I disconnect the linkage? I banged out the top pin but the linkage still wont come apart. Do i need to bang out the bottom one too or am I missing something?

TyHcanU.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason the edit button has disappeared.

The pin i knocked out is the one you can see in the picture and then there is another one below it that you can see when you shift the transmission and the rod comes up.

Yes. The pic is in neutral. If I push it down the connection disappears, if I pull it up there is just another pin like the one in the pic about 3/4" below that one

So I put the motor in forward gear and tried to knock out the lower pin but the shift linkage doesn't quite go high enough and the pin only comes half way out and then hits the housing for the motor. If the shift link came 1/4" higher it would come out but it just does not go any higher. Any ideas?

Just an update. It took me a while to get around to but since I couldnt knock that bottom pin out and the clearance i needed was only a few mm I just used the good old dremel tool and shaved away some of the metal to make enough room to get the pin out. Got the pin out and the gearcase dropped right off the motor! thanks for the advice!

Back