Logo

67' 6hp Evinrude fisherman.....running open choke

URELady

Last year I pulled and replaced fuel pump, and cleaned carb and installed kit....this Spring I tried pulling flywheel...but chipped it...so my little Fisherman went to the marina...had points plugs magneto checked timing set etc.....running like NEW...but recently started losing power.....slower and slower until it died....pump-up bulb..one pump, one pull,....it starts back runs....dies.....finally found a sweet spot..choke out to run¿???? What could it be! Air leak?

Last edited:
No! I have tried that....I also ran some seafoam through the system just to clean the Jets some but nothing seems to change it! Still starts but now Without choke and I pull choke to run!! Has me baffled ALWAYS start but one pump, pull choke, one pull,...NOW it's. Pump, pump, pump....push choke in! pull, pull, pull! OPEN CHOKE before it dies!

Last edited:
Start from the beginning with a compression test three times engine cold 1-2 1-2 1-2 and give us the results. Pull the rope until the guage stops moving.

Ok I need to get a compression gauge, will post when done...boat is in the water so, I need a dry day, and a gauge...If neighbor is in I'll borrow his.,Tomorrow. TTYL
Just had it worked on this Spring ...first time anyone has touched her other than me, in YEARS....soooo.....???

Last edited:
----If you have to pull the choke knob out a little ( choke closed ) to run it then you have carburetor issues.--------But answer this question,---Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more, yes or no ?-----Have ignition coils ever been replaced ?

Have to choke it to keep it running: Classic symptom of a clogged high speed jet (orifice plug) in the carburetor. It is deep in the hole behind the hex drain plug. You are supposed to use a special screwdriver to remove it without damage.

All this assumes the rest of the motor is ok.[

The motor was running fine, overhauled in the spring and used daily, until choke issues. Don't want to cause more harm running with open choke....but as I was trying to get a compression reading...it died, now if I prime the carb it will start but doesn't get enough gas to even run....fuel pump is pumping strong so there's definitely a block in the carbarator! I thought the float might have been stuck but. I guess I'll just have to pull it and flush it....

Last edited:
??---When you pull the choke knob out you are CLOSING the choke flapper.------And running with choke partially closed will do no harm to the motor.

Take "gator's" advice, Post #7....... Something has broken loose and got into the carburetor. Remove it again, re-clean it and be sure to check that high speed jet that is located horizontally in the bottom center of the float chamber, way in back of the drain screw.

To do a proper compression test pull both spark plugs and check each cylinder three times 1-2 1-2 1-2 pull the rope until gauge stops moving 3-4 pulls get back with the numbers.

Soooo..... Did you "manually" clean the high speed jet, or not?

Solvent just doesn't do that job properly so it's best to carefully and manually clean that jet with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Here's where I'm at now! Have carburetor in hand....high speed jet out....manually cleaned...and was going through spray it all out with carb cleaner then compressed air....don't have a rebuild kit but as easy off and on figure I can try what I have...but it's NOT carb cleaner...but brake cleaner!!! What's the difference...will it hurt?
The float is out, (it's good)....but the bowl was full of varnish! Huge chunks..1/2" across and thick enough to hold shape of float...sooo???

Here's where I'm at now! Have carburetor in hand....high speed jet out....manually cleaned...and was going through spray it all out with carb cleaner then compressed air....don't have a rebuild kit but as easy off and on figure I can try what I have...but it's NOT carb cleaner...but brake cleaner!!! What's the difference...will it hurt?
The float is out, (it's good)....but the bowl was full of varnish! Huge chunks..1/2" across and thick enough to hold shape of float...sooo???

Found your problem. Question is, how did it get there? Need to clean fuel pump screen, Fuel lines, fuel hose and primer bulb, also fuel tank. Never use ethanol fuel. Ever. When I fix a problem, I always try to find out what caused it and prevent it from occurring again, if possible.

Last edited:
It is probably the varnish deposits causing the problem but do check the fuel line connector o-rings at both the motor and the tank. A see through, in line fuel filter can be added to the fuel tank hose to prevent any transfer of any debris which might still be in the tank.

Tank is clean and good advice on inline fuel filter...used to use them on my old " bug".... Probably still have a new one somewhere....
As far as the varnish deposits...comes from ethanol, or so I'm told...just cannot figure how it built up so fast...non ethanol gas for my baby from now on!

Make sure the float bowl has not been overtightened. The screw holes will be bent. You can take a little off the face at each hole with a small flat file. If these are not fairly close to flush/straight, the donut at the base center will not properly seal and cause an over rich condition, as this would be unmetered fuel allowed to enter. Been there, seen that, these are old motors, they sell tools to anyone. Pure non oxy will also go over and turn bad, but it takes many years in an outboard tank. The more fuel volume and less air, the longer it takes to get bad. Ethanol is just much faster, not to mention destruction of any rubber composite components like crank seals and diaphragms.

Last edited:
The screws on the float bowl are/ were OK..but I have "primed" this engine by squirting gas directly into the choke hole then close the flap, to start.... That could be causing unmetered fuel, too much feel volume... Guess that's a bad idea...

The screws on the float bowl are/ were OK..but I have "primed" this engine by squirting gas directly into the choke hole then close the flap, to start.... That could be causing unmetered fuel, too much feel volume... Guess that's a bad idea...
Have help coming in the form of Carb cleaner, in the can...going to soak it overnight, blow her out with compressed air and install and test tomorrow.....bye til.then,....

THANK YOU ,EVERYONE for the advice and feedback... Got a gallon of ChemSoak... carburetor and parts soak...soaked everything that wasn't rubber/plastic.....ran a fine wire through all holes / jets....took it to my neighbors shop and blew it out with compressed air.....put it back together. AND IT STARTS RAINING.......finally rain quits, put my carburetor back on the boat....primed it, (haven't yet fine tuned the high/low idle jet just seated it and backed it off 1 1/2 turns).....pulled the rope....and YAHOO!!!!! My baby hasn't run this good in years!!

Of course! I was ready to put it on and check my troutline....thankfully it wasn't baited...but several years ago in a warm spell in Dec. I pulled in about 180lbs of Arkansas Blue catfish..5 beauties,.that were on an unbaited line...and I had to cut the biggest one loose couldn't get it in the boat!! weighed as much as I do!!!
But as you can see I did go back outside, put my carb back on, primed it and ran across the river...No Fish!.... But my baby runs like a champ, which she is!! I'm currently looking at a 1965 6hp Evinrude Fisherman....these motors cannot be beat!! Just need to figure how to get it from Ohio to NC without having to make the trip myself!

I have a 65 Fisherman that I started guiding with in 1966. 4000 hours on it and still good as new. The head gasket can get bad but usually not before their 40th birthday. You can have it shipped for about 75 bucks, I like to remove the lower unit when I ship them and wrap it up alongside the main body. Then reassemble with a new impeller if needed. These impellers last 40 years too because they are engineered as a lower pressure with longer, lazy fingers that don't bend so tight and get fatigued like this newer stuff. No electronics to fail is nice too. Any time that I have ever been disappointed, has been stator, trigger, or power pack failure, most often with no warning. Enjoy your 6 and keep the forum for any
questions. I am in the active outboard repair and sales business, so often don't have time to post. Take care. Tim

Back