Logo

Clutch cone slipping in forward

I have a Four Winns Horizon 1998 3.0 litre 4 cyl with Volvo Penta sx- c1
This year my forward clutch cone started slipping and the dealer suggested that I replace the shift mechanism and put a new clutch cone in it
The repairs are going to be $2,600 .
Instead of I put a reverse prop on it and changed the shift linkage at the back so that it would do opposite reverse and forward which Volvo drives will do.
It is a small reconfiguration of the offset shift rod that let's it connect to the opposite side of the shifter.
A small filing job is required to file a notch in the shifter mechanism so that it won't interfere with the shift Rod going up into place.
You may need to change the control box connection to the second hole that gives you less travel of the shifter cable. Mine I think was in the wrong hole giving me less of a complete shift.
This change lets me use the gears that where used for reverse and with the left hand prop on your using the part of your transmission you've never fully used before and the other part still works when it's cold and when you rev the engine slightly to engage reverse.
You can do all this yourself and the cost is the price of a left-hand prop ($200)

Last edited:
Back