Logo

290 reverse lockout problem

Part number 854035 is the complete reverse lock/inhibit. Sounds to me like the parts are just wore out and need replaced without actually being there to see what exactly is going on. You would need to remove the swivel tube to replace the inhibit basically remove the complete drive then take it apart and see exactly what it needs.

When you shift it into reverse does the link rod #6
this is a coupling rod

in the diagram push all the way down
it should press FWD... not down

on the brace item #40 ?
Lock brace!

That should keep the reverse lock down
it should cause the latch hooks to remain UP..... not down!

tight until you shift out of reverse. The rod connects to the yoke item #2.
that is correct

NOTE: a shift into FWD gear will always be a result of an extended shift cable at the gear yoke. In other words..... the gear yoke will be tilted AFT for a FWD gear engagement!
If the cable retracts for FWD gear (tilting the gear yoke forward) ..... it is incorrect!

Doesent the brace keep the latch from pulling down in reverse? Without a close look at the brace surfaces is it actually locking the latch?

Last edited:
Look close at the flat spots on the brace where it touches the latch on both sides. You will see how the brace is supposed to keep the latch from pulling down in reverse.

At this point your gonna have to replace something just replace the two spring hooks #814392 and #814393 with new and see what she does. They are the easiest and fairly cheap on ebay new.

At this point your gonna have to replace something just replace the two spring hooks #814392 and #814393 with new and see what she does. They are the easiest and fairly cheap on ebay new.

Yeah. That's exactly what I am going to do. Already have the parts. Hope to have time to replace them this weekend.
-Robert

Is the latch supposed to act like it does in the above vid? Is it supposed to move up and contact the latch when the drive is manually lifted or is it supposed to contact the shaft all the time?

Being unencumbered by any Volvo "education", I have to rely on reverse engineering this.

a) As stated in my previous post about the mechanical lift... Ricardo is correct, this is a hydraulic lift ( diagram I looked at did not have hydraulics shown and I forgot the 290 was hydraulic)... however, I believe this is a left over from previous drive implementations with mechanical lifts (per my description) and it wasn't worth the redesign to remove this feature.

b) Having the hooks drop and then lift up to grab the pin does somewhat reduce the need for precise location of the hooks vs the pin...but....

I'll stick with a)...a left over.

Being unencumbered by any Volvo "education", I have to rely on reverse engineering this.

a) As stated in my previous post about the mechanical lift... Ricardo is correct, this is a hydraulic lift ( diagram I looked at did not have hydraulics shown and I forgot the 290 was hydraulic)...

however, I believe this is a left over from previous drive implementations with mechanical lifts (per my description) and it wasn't worth the redesign to remove this feature.
The 290 latch hooks are:
a...... not operable by any lift-out mechanism. In other words, there is no linkage rod that "dis-engages" the latch hooks while raising the drive UP! There is no need to since the 290 incorporates a hydraulic system!

b...... there for preventing separation between the suspension fork and the anchorage bracket during "reversing"!

c..... do not use the "anti-rotation" pins (as with the all previous drive models) in lieu of the SS guide unit. (SEQ# 13 in this schematic ......... www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7743470-44-17648.aspx )

b) Having the hooks drop and then lift up to grab the pin does somewhat reduce the need for precise location of the hooks vs the pin...but....

I'll stick with a)...a left over.
Volvo Penta had not yet been able to incorporate the hydraulic cylinder pressure relief valve (patent rights) that is used in an "impact" scenario. So the latch hooks were continued as a "break-a-way" feature (impact protection) only.

Note that the C and later drives (with pressure relief cylinders) discontinued using the Anchorage Bracket and the Latch Hook system.

Update. I replaced the two latch hooks and it fixed the problem. Thanks everyone for the help. The hardest part was dealing with the springs. I couldn't figure out how to get them off like someone posted earlier by prying off the shaft so I did it one at a time and like he said everything went flying. Luckily I didn't lose anything and was able to get things replaced and back together.

-Robert

ps The old hooks didn't look like they were worn but whatever work :)

Back