Logo

Can someone explain the operation of the OMC 174229 single lever shifter.

ClifS

My dad's old boat has the control box listed above, and though it shifts and operates the throttle well enough, I can't find any sign of a warmup setting or lever. I assume it has to be a function of the lever operation, but I can't figure it out. I know there are some units that you can push a button and operate the throttle while the gear shift is disabled, or operate a warm up lever to boost the throttle for warm up. Any help will be appreciated.

Clif

Push in on the round button in the center of the shift lever will unlock the shift lever. Item #20 on the diagram.

Last edited:
Kim (above) has no doubt nailed it... but... just for future reference, many console setups allow throttle w/o shifting simply by pulling the handle sideways slightly to unlock it.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I had downloaded the parts diagram before I posted. I was a bit confused by the "button" listed in the parts, as buttons are normally pushed. However, in this case racerone and joereeves are correct. I took the unit down and cleaned it and on analysis of how the parts fit together, determined that you do have to pull the lever away from the housing to disengage the shift function. Works like a champ when you know what you're doing.

The button listed is to engage the choke, but my engine uses a manual primer rather than an electric choke.

Thanks again for your help.
Clif

Back