Logo

Losing power

Rj_

I have a 2002 2 stroke mercury 115. It has an alternator driven ignition. The motor starts and runs fine initially. After a half hour or so, when running at any speed above idle, the motor will act like you are running out of gas. You can idle for a few minutes, take off again, and you might de able to run for 5 minutes or 30 seconds. The problem seems heat related, since I have never had the problem happen in the first 30 minutes or so.
i put a portable fuel tank with a new fuel line,bulb, and fuel on board to try to eliminate my fuel system with no help.
have inspected wiring from trigger and stator with nothing obvious. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks!

Yes, but I can't determine if it helps. When the problem occurs I have to go to idle. Then from idle I can sometimes accelerate again. So, when I pump the bulb I am never sure it is not just one of the times that I could accelerate anyway. I will go out today and try this again though. Do you know if under normal operation the bulb should stay full like it is when you first pump it up, or is it normal for the bulb to be partially full while running?
Thanks for your input!

So, today the problem was there the first time I accelerated. I went to idle and then tried to accelerate but just bogged down. I then pumped up the bulb and tried again. I was able to accelerate and run for 15 seconds or so. I reaped this 3 more times with the same result. This is the first time the problem happened so fast, is getting worse. Does this point to the fuel pump? Thanks!

The fuel pump was full of plastic pieces. Found the grey fuel line that you normally get when you buy a fuel bulb to be the source. The inside of fuel line had completely crumbled apart even though the fuel line from the outside was soft.
Rebuilt the pump and will go get regular fuel hose to replace all of the grey. Will never use the grey hose that comes with the fuel bulbs again.

Back