Logo
Click for Crusader parts and manuals!

Default 06 Crusader 8.1L (496ci) Winterizing Questions

I have a new to me boat with closed cooling so I'm a little unclear as to the winterizing method on them.

I may have a cracked Heat Exchanger (HE) as I was having issues keeping my antifreeze coolant reservoir topped up on my port engine this season (I think it's washing out with my seawater). My marina is short techs and will not be able to look at this until the spring so my plan is to winterize the engine, pull the HE off and have it tested/repaired in the off season.

My questions is whats the best way to do this, I'm pretty sure I need to drain the antifreeze coolant system to ensure there is no water in the engine/coolers etc. I see the HE has a drain plug. but I would need to drain the risers, manifolds and engine block as well correct? Any tips on trouble shooting this process would be appreciated? Also with the HE removed I guess I'd need to plug the hose lines coming off the engine, any tips here?.

As far as winterizing the engine block, after it's comply drained where would I pour the glycol in to fill it back up? ( I would normally run the engine and suck the glycol into it through the strainer, but since i'm removing the HE I can't do it this way. Are there any thermostats that be closed preventing water to drain or glycol to flush out?

Lastly are there any other drivetrain components or coolers to winterize ie, oil cooler, transmission, drive shafts etc?

Default Re: 06 Crusader 8.1L (496ci) Winterizing Questions

As far as winterizing the engine block, after it's comply drained where would I pour the glycol in to fill it back up?
    Ayuh,..... Air don't freeze,....

No need for antifreeze,....
    Any Grease is Better,... Than No grease at All....

Default Re: 06 Crusader 8.1L (496ci) Winterizing Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Ayuh,..... Air don't freeze,....

No need for antifreeze,....
    This topic has been kicked around to death.

Actually air does freeze, since it's made up of nitrogen , oxygen, carbon and argon, which when undergoing condensation creates H2o (water) which freezes.
    By fIlling with glycol you remove the air which minimizes condensation which
    prevents frost which prevents rust from forming in your block and other metal components. Furthermore if there is water traped in jackets or from not being drained properly the glycol will prevent freezing.
    Last edited by nautiyachti; 10-06-2017 at 08:51 PM.