Logo

burn't power trim hoses and electrical short

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi all,
I have a 270 t power trim/tilt system and had an electrical short in relay switches- melted plastic cover off #8 battery positive- short transfer heat through pump to hoses smoking hot -automatic dextron fluid- burn't
I can get 3 new relays and 2 ss. hoses psi 2,000? how do I drain fluid and clean trim pump and hydrolic cylinder? old power trim system - I have not yet found a new mototr,pump,reservoir system- need help
thanks,
tmcboat

Then find out if the fuse was installed properly and what value it is. This often happens when someone installs a bigger fuse when the existing one keeps burning blowing.

the oem #8 battery cables were tied directly to the battery- no fuse- should I install a inline fuse on new #8 positive cable to battery?
and the trim pump spec says trim relief valve lift pressure is 1,265 psi and lower trim relief valve pressure is 775psi
do the hoses need to be for max psi of approximately 1,500 psi?
where can I get these hoses and an after market pump,motor and reservoir?
thanks,
tmcboat

I removed both hydrolic hoses and a little red transmission fluid dripped out of the bottom of the trim pump- so it was not burn't transmission fluid coming out of the pump = good news - so I am thinking that the pump, motor and hydrolic trim clyinder were not damaged by extreme heating cause by the electrical short.
I have located the 3 relay switches but need hoses =18" total length- psi rated 1,500 psi- nut is 3/4 inch hex -outside diameter of metal tubing is .324 inches/ outside rubber hose= .659inches- one end of hoses have 3 inches of .324 metal tubing with a sweep 90 degree bend and includes 3/4 inch ferrel nut- I can send a pic if someone wants to look at hoses- need leads on finding hoses- please

I don't know anything about the hoses in question. You may be able to find a local company that can make new hoses for you using generic hydraulic hose and fittings. Look for companies that sell and service brands such as Parker-Hannifin and Aeroquip hose and fittings. You'll usually find these companies in industrial areas or near other companies that sell and service trucks.

I removed the hydrolic hoses and a few drops of red transmission fluide out at the bottom of the pump- it was not burnt- good news- how do I remove transmission fluid from pump and hyrolic lift cylinder?

thanks
tmcboat

Back