Logo

5.7 non-electric choke help !

buffmont

Hello, Newbie here. Bought a 1993 Celebrity with 5.7 motor. HARD to start. The choke will not close completely to start unless I put my finger on it, then starts instantly. All info I read refers to an electric choke. However this 2 barrel carb does not have an electric choke and I do not see how to adjust the choke to close .

Attached are pictures of the carb. Motor runs like a champ once it starts !
attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG3003.jpg
    CIMG3003.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 126
Picture(s)....I only saw one??

If it has the 'stove' style coil on the intake, the adjustment is made by bending the link...like Bob asked, a serial number would help a bunch...

Thanks for the prompt reply. Where is the SN located ? Only numbers I see are the firing order and a some numbers on the riser castings ?

J C Whitney used to sell an electronic choke conversion kit that worked really nice--used several of them.

That said, unless your bimetallic strip (looks like a spring) isn't broken, you should be able to crank in enough closing force to solve your problem--unless something is binding and keeping the choke open. The choke pull off mechanism might be doing that, so take a careful look at it.

Finally, as an olde mechanic, I've messed with carbs for over a half century and know how touchy the choke can be--especially since you only get one shot per day to get it right.

Good luck!

Jeff

Thanks all for helping, I cannot get my head down close enough to the starter to see the SN tag. Anyway, with the schematic shown on the Weber attachment I understand how to bend the choke wire to shorten its stroke. I will proceed slowly and carefully. Thanks All.

Back