Logo

90 Looper but which one?

Sam110

Regular Contributor
I recently bought a 1985 18' Sylvan Fish & Ski boat with a '85 Evinrude 90hp V4 mod.# E90TLC0S motor which I understand is a 'Looper' motor but what degree? What designates this motors as either a 60 or 90 degree motor .. how do I tell the difference? .. 'Looper' is referring to what? Wondering also what the general opinion is regarding this motor as good, bad or indifferent. Any particular issues in the history of this motor that I need to be mindful of? Shop manuals are on order. Thanks.

Not sure where your information comes from.-----That is NOT a looper style engine at all.------It is a crossflow design !!-----First thing to do on this motor is a compression test.---They have a nasty habit of breaking the piston rings.

A 60 degree looper 90 hp was first marketed in 1995 model year.----There was never a 90 degree looper 90 hp model marketed either.----" looper " is an engine without a deflector on the piston and has " aimed " intake porting.---Not a new concept as LAWNBOY mowers used the concept in the 1950's

Ah ! Well that settles that! Not sure why I had that impression but thanks for that clarification. I did do a compression test prior to the deal and all cylinders ran btwn. 89 to 92. Plugs looked a bit oilier than I thought they should look. Thanks again.

Back