Logo

1978 mercury 115 inline six carburetor trouble

I've been toying around with this motor for a while now with no experience and I've almost got it where I want it. My issue now is the carburetor. At first it wasn't getting gas so I took it apart and cleaned it. Then gas was pouring out I replaced the one needle. So now after tinkering with it the top carb leaks and the bottom two I can't even tell if they are getting gas. The motor runs so I'm guessing their getting gas or it would shut off right? The flat head on the bottom is old and I can't get it loose to clean. When I pump the bulb it does not get hard you just see gas start dripping from the carb. What does it sound like I need to do?

Oil goes into the engine via the carburetors.-----It is important to correct any problems.----Visit ---utube----for tutorial on carburetor work.

Today I tried pulling plug wires while it was running and there was a difference in how it ran on each plug. The top carb still leaks by. I tried bending the tab a little and it seemed to work at first but it's dripping out of the top carb. When looking inside the throat I can see gas in the top man jet but I cannot see gas in the lower two. I also put in new plugs and each old plug had oil on it. Should I just invest in rebuilding all carbs or is there something simple I'm missing here?

Your decision.-----All I can say is that it is important to have clean / properly working carburetors.----Or you risk major damage to your motor.

I fixed the carb problem. It turns out the levers that the float uses to push the needle up is pretty touchy. The manual said to have a quarter inch of space between the bottom lever and the top while it is relaxed. Now there is a rattling noise coming from the flywheel. There was a little oil spitting from the bottom of the engine and I found a small tube that runs from the top of the engine to the bottom that was unhooked. Is this how oil is introduced to the top of the engine?

Check the tightness of the 8 bolts holding the flywheel to the hub. Then make sure there's a flat washer under the nut, one that nearly fills the opening. I had one with a washer that was too small in outer diameter and it rattled like crazy.

Jeff

Sounds like the flexplate on the flywheel might be cracked.----Check bleed restrictors behind bypss covers,------Likely 3 of the 5 are gone.-------I install 8-32 stainless setscrews with wee hole in place of the plastic junk.

Check the tightness of the 8 bolts holding the flywheel to the hub. Then make sure there's a flat washer under the nut, one that nearly fills the opening. I had one with a washer that was too small in outer diameter and it rattled like crazy.

Jeff

Yeah I don't even think it has one. I guesse I need to remove it any way to get a better look at what's going on.

Jeff

You were right! It was missing the washer. I replaced it and she runs like a sewing machine now. Thanks!

Back