Logo

Boat project gift ideas needed

BBenny

Hello Marine Engine thanks for the add to this great forum.

My grandfather has not long retired from working but due to a huge amount of new time on his hands, he found himself getting really bored having nothing to do apart from sitting around. Then about 3 weeks ago he decided to start his own project repairing an old boat back to its glory days which I think is awesome for him. I need to apologize for my lack of terminology now. Right now he only has the main wooden boat, no steering, no engine, just the boat and he is in the process of cleaning and patching it up. So far every weekend since he brought the boat he is out in his garage working on it for hours on end and I am wanting to get him something that would help him out.

In terms of the gift, unfortunately, I can't afford an engine, that is the first thing I would have wanted to get him but I have a budget of around £500 Is there anything I can get him that would help him out with his new project? I plan on putting in plenty of elbow grease and doing as much research as he needs whenever he comes across a problem but I would love to add something to it.

All ideas welcome! looking forward to some replies.

Thanks
This is an example image of what he wants as a finished project but I will get some actual picture of his project when I next visit.
fwd_still_color.jpg

Sounds like a project he wants to take on himself all you need to do is be there. A good finish coating can get pretty expensive and takes alot of prep. Have you asked him what he needs? If he is anything like my dad was he knows what he wants and you can suggest but do not be disappointed if he does everything his way.

Agree with the above. One thing came to mind - a good paint gun, assuming he is not devoted to hand painting the whole thing, which he may be. Ask. Also, an orbiting sander and a vibrating sander should be very useful.

So far every weekend since he brought the boat he is out in his garage working on it for hours on end

Ayuh,.... I agree with the others,... How well stocked are Dad's Toolboxes,..??

A tool I've found I can't live without, since I got 1, is my 1/4" impact driver,...
I drive 1,000s of screws, nuts, bolts, you name it, with it,....

Way better than my ole routine of usin' my cordless 1/2" drill to drive screws,....

A paint gun sounds like a great idea this will save loads of time and possibly give a better finish. He has a pretty well-stocked toolbox but there is always something needed we all know that! I am going to have to try and get him moaning he might willingly come out with a few things he needs that way.

Get a HVLP gun and do the research on the proper primer for wood. Follow the instructions exact for what ever type of paint system he decides to use. Coating thickness and cure times are very important it is always best to do multiple thin coats for the best adhesion. Once the primer coat is down you cannot stop until the top coat is done. HVLP is high volume low pressure you will need a good air compressor with a water/oil separator.

Yes I bought me a cheap husky that works just fine. I have sprayed enamel, polyurethane and 2 part epoxy primer just make sure you keep it good and clean between uses. Follow the instructions for whatever paint system you use exact for best results.

My grandfather has not long retired....Then about 3 weeks ago he decided to start his own project repairing an old boat back to its glory days....
In terms of the gift.....I have a budget of around £500 Is there anything I can get him that would help him out with his new project?
Small things can chew into the budget for a project like this. Maybe you could get a bunch of these items to help put the finishing touches on the project? I know you're thinking along the lines of refurbishing the hull, but these are all things he'll need to put the boat into service.

1) Light kit (vintage look would be good for a boat like this). Get LED lights, they are bright and consume very little battery power.

2) Stainless steel cleats for the bow and both sides of the stern.

3) Marine grade wiring for lights and/or accessories. This type of wire has the stranded copper tinned and is more corrosion resistant than plain copper. A roll of 100' each of red and black will do the lights and some accessories.

4) Bumper bouys

5) Nice battery cover with anchor kit.

6) Weather tight butt connections with shrink tubing for the wiring.

7) Color matched dock lines

8) Rope to match dock lines

9) Fire extinguisher with mounting bracket. Get a good, stainless steel mounting bracket, not the flimsy plastic junk.

10) Good quality personal flotation devices

11) Throwable seat cushion or throwable ring.

12) Good quality rubber coated anchor and rope.

13) Folding paddle.

Back