Logo

1972 evinrude flywheel doesnt spin all the way

pythontaco

Hi everyone I am new too the forums so I hope this is in the right place. I have a 1972 evinrude 18hp outboard that suddenly stopped running today while out on the lake. Ive only taken this motor out 3 times so im not entirely familiar with it. today when i first brought it out it would not recoil the cord and I thought nothing of it. Then there was a rattling that I thought was coming from the motor cover but maybe not. I was at about 50% throttle when it stopped. I took out the sparkplugs and I can see the pistons move and I can feel compression. The flywheel will turn back and forth about 360 but wont go past a certain point when I turn it either direction.

I have no idea what Is wrong I dont think it is seized but I am not sure any help is appreciated thanks!

Screws came loose under the flywheel ?-----Something wrong internally in the motor.----------I would start with removal of the flywheel.

Agreed, remove the flywheel and check for something came loose in there. If that is ok, my guess is that the motor swallowed some small object which is now between one of the pistons and cylinder head. So pull the head if it looks good under the flywheel.

In addition to the above on target suggestions, if the removal of the flywheel does not reveal the cause of the problem, remove the lower unit to determine where the problem is... the powerhead or the lower unit.

Don't see anything wrong with lower unit. Tried pulling head and broke a head bolt so have to get that out. Will update after or if I'm able to get that bolt out.

Use a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum around tight fitting bolts/screws to help loosening them. Have the garden hose and a extinguisher handy though.

I assume that your statement means that the power-head is the faulty component... bummer!

Use a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum around tight fitting bolts/screws to help loosening them. Have the garden hose and a extinguisher handy though.

I assume that your statement means that the power-head is the faulty component... bummer!

Unable to get the sheered bolt out. Also stripped head off another bolt. Going to let them soak and probably take it to machine shop tomorrow see if they can help take them out.

Before you do, take the two intake bypass port covers off the side and peer in to see what you can see. If you see anything catastrophic, save your money.

Before you do, take the two intake bypass port covers off the side and peer in to see what you can see. If you see anything catastrophic, save your money.

And of course I broke a bolt and stripped another one. And then broke an easy out in the stripped one. Looks like it has red locktite on the bolts.

Who the heck would locktite those bolts in? Oh well. BTW, there ain't any such thing as an Easy Out. It isn't easy and they won't get them out.

And besides that, they have a habit of breaking off and then you are screwed when you try to drill them out. VOE.

Went to machine shop and they were nice enough to help get the stubborn bolt on the intake cover. Opened up and still don't see anything. Ive got to find a friend with a cut off wheel to help get the last head bolt out and maybe then I can finally see if there is any damage.

Okay, I had same problems on a 25 and I learned a trick that has worked ever since.
Get a boxend wrench that fits the bolt and leaves just a little of the head sticking out above the wrench. Now put some good pressure on the wrench and tap on the bolt head pretty sharply.That has brought them out every time for me.

Bolt is stuck in and even heat hasn't helped get it out. At this point I'm spending more money on tools just to get the damn thing apart. I have no access to a die grinder or welder and I'm running out of patience. The last bolt is stripped and I'm no where closer to figuring out what is wrong. I spent 300 on this motor lasted me about 2 short trips. Considering just cutting my losses. Opinions?

Buying air compressor and other heavy duty tools is not an option. As I live in an apartment rn. Also I'd like to say I appreciate everyone's help.

Back