Logo

several questions older 454's

realcaptron

Regular Contributor
sorry, I have a few questions if I can get some help..
1. what engine oil weight and type should go in my 90's vintage 454's?
2. i have oil coolers with pencil zincs, but I can not find any other pencil zincs on these motors. There is a cooler immediately after the raw water intake that goes to either the trans or v drive (not sure which), but I do not see zincs on them.
3. I have 4 fuel tanks, each 55 gal with independent shutoffs on each tank. I bought the boat with the two aft tanks shut off and the forward tanks open. They all flow into a single fuel water separator on each side. Is there any reason why I could not open all 4 valves so that the engines are simultaneously drawing from all tanks? I would like to do it that way rather than drain two tanks down, then open the other two.
4. these are thermo electron crusader trans and v drives. what sort of fluids go in them?

sorry for stupid questions. a manual would be great.

sorry, I have a few questions if I can get some help..
1. what engine oil weight and type should go in my 90's vintage 454's?
2. i have oil coolers with pencil zincs, but I can not find any other pencil zincs on these motors. There is a cooler immediately after the raw water intake that goes to either the trans or v drive (not sure which), but I do not see zincs on them.
3. I have 4 fuel tanks, each 55 gal with independent shutoffs on each tank. I bought the boat with the two aft tanks shut off and the forward tanks open. They all flow into a single fuel water separator on each side. Is there any reason why I could not open all 4 valves so that the engines are simultaneously drawing from all tanks? I would like to do it that way rather than drain two tanks down, then open the other two.
4. these are thermo electron crusader trans and v drives. what sort of fluids go in them?

sorry for stupid questions. a manual would be great.

I submit a 15W-30 or 40 synthetic is best for the engine, but I'll also say I ran a HD40 during my time in S FL with 85 deg and higher startups.
Do you have a "U" shaped cooler at the front of the engine? IF not, I'm not sure what you have there.
I would think running 4 open is a bad idea. The first diptube to see air will send it into fuel filter and eventually to the engine. All 4 won't deliver fuel at the same rate.
Velvet Drives by Borg Warner get ATF.

I've been using Mobil1 full synthetic for a couple decades....the only 'thick' one is 15w50 (used to be 15w40)....

There should be a pencil zinc in the heat exchanger, too.....

2X what DD said about the tanks.

on the gears, I'd suggest you find the ID plate so you know exactly what you have.....

I have my mid-80's owners manual as a PDF...if interested, send me your email via PM

for completeness, I poked around regarding the V-drive....

As the lubricant of choice varies from ATF to 90W gear oil....all depends upon the (gear) OEM's view...

Not meaning to hyjack but my question is in line with whats posted. I've wanted to use the Mobil-1 in my boat but shes spent 1500. hrs on dyno oil. Rotella T to be exact but they have lowered the ZDDP content for the newer diesel trucks. Is the Mobil safe for the older seals? If a guy was to switch do we need to add ZDDP to safeguard the cam?

Not meaning to hyjack but my question is in line with whats posted. I've wanted to use the Mobil-1 in my boat but shes spent 1500. hrs on dyno oil. Rotella T to be exact but they have lowered the ZDDP content for the newer diesel trucks. Is the Mobil safe for the older seals? If a guy was to switch do we need to add ZDDP to safeguard the cam?

I started to run Amsoil classic in my BBC after many hundreds of hours on Castrol HD40. No ill affects.
On cars, similar story with M1 on 3 cars after 100k+ miles of dino oil. No new leaks, but it did seem to speed up one existing leak.

mobil1 wont hurt the seals....but if the seals have worn, that oil will let you know....

After breakin, we switched to mobil one decades ago.....over 3000 hours before overhaul.....it works well in my experience.

Back