Logo

25 hp electric coil

roscoe69

hi guys ,had a look around in here, nice place you got. anyway I put a multimeter on my power output cord that was cut off at some time but didn't get a reading while idling. today I checked the resistance after digging inside wire box. the reading was 14.46 milliohm. what does that translate to you guys. I believe this motor to be a 2006 25 hp .
thanks

I am assuming by power output cord, you mean the two wires that would go to a battery to charge it.....

If that is the case, you will not see any voltage output when it is not connected to a battery. It is a regulator/rectifier on the motor, so you need it connected to a battery to work.

Connect the wires to a 12 v battery. Measure the voltage at the battery before you start the motor. Then start the motor and watch the voltage. It should change to eventually get to somewhere between 13 and 14.5 volts. The higher the rpm, the higher the voltage output.

Your resistance reading is probably ok....since you are measuring back into the regulator....

Mike

hi thankguys, just hooked up a battery and tested at 11.45 volt sated engine and reading was 14.93volts. look like system is ok,,,,thanks hondadude,

Just a comment about the battery. A battery that is in good condition and is fully charged should read approximately 12.6 volts at rest. A 12 volt, lead acid, storage battery that reads 12 volts at rest is considered to be 25% discharged.

Not sure why yours was 11.45 volts but if your at rest volts remain under 12.5 volts after charging for a reasonable time, the battery is likely NOT in good condition. An old or damaged battery that can't hold a FULL charge will put undue stress on your charging system and will NOT perform properly to run your electrical devices and light system as expected.

Just sayin'

Happy boating.

yes the battery is out of my sons snowmobile, he removed it last winter and has been setting around his garage, I charged it and then a cold front moved in -7 c that night and didn't get it set up for the boat. a new battery for spring. the short time engine was running created a 12.10 residual charge

Back