Logo

Please help 1971 Johnson 60 hp bottom cylinder misfire

Dalas

Johnson 60ES71C
The bottom cylinder on my motor intermittently drops out. I've rebuilt the carbs,( even I swapped top carb with bottom one, still same!) rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced all fuel lines, and replaced the plugs and wires. I checked the stator and pickup as per instructions on the CDI website. I have wiggled all wires and inspected all connections, cleaned and secured all ground wires. I'm performing all these tests on the muffs in my driveway. So what do you guys think? Power Pack? Coil? or both?? Thanks, Riddick

Did you clean and set the points ?----Clean the distributor cap and rotor ?----------Replaced the rubber boot where plug wire screws into the cap ?

OK, back to basics. You checked the compression? Not getting water intrusion into the cylinder? Put a spark gap tester on #3 and observed the spark (or lack thereof) while it is acting up? Set the points at .009"? Is it cutting out at a particular RPM? If only at idle, are all 3 carbs closing completely? Slow speed needle adjustment make any difference?

Back