Logo

Rotating outboard instead of hoisting?

Projectus

Contributing Member
Hello,
I need to gain a small amount of clearance to remove two steering cables from the outboard.
Has anyone tried removing 3 of the 4 mounting bolts, and slightly loosening the 4th, and then rotating up the engine on that one bolt a couple inches? This would give me enough clearance to slide the rams out over the splashwell.
I'd definitely use some wood blocks for support, and rig a stop block above the lower unit, just in case it really tries to rotate quickly. It's a 150hp Evinrude, so it's not exactly light.
Anyone ever tried this in lieu of using a hoist? If this is absolutely insane and dangerous, don't hold back.
Thanks for any advice.

My grandparents lived in Oneida county. Their mailing address was Three Lakes, but they lived on the bottom of the chain, on Big Lake.

I went to Minocqua with my grandparents a lot when I was young. It was great.
Now I drive through Minocqua a ĺot on my way to and from state campgrounds, and I don't like it much anymore. It's kind of become a mess, and massive traffic jams. I always think about the two lakes on either side of the road, and wonder how much runoff has gotten in them. It's so heavily populated now, compared to 35+ years ago.

Back