Logo

Yamaha F115 ticking sound

Sarrre

Contributing Member
Hey guys,

I traded in a Yamaha F115 model year 2003. However when I examined the engine I noticed a ticking sound at idle speed. When I rev upp the engine to approx. 2000 rpm, the sound dissapear. I took the head off and noticed that the arm for the fuel pump is able to move about 1 mm up and down as shown in the video below, which may cause the ticking sound. What do you think? Should it be this much play? How do you suggest to solve this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziJtwhKXn7s

Hard to see in the video...there should be a washer in between the spring pin and bottom of lever. And it looks as though there is not...even looks like the gap by which you're able to move lever up and down would be the same thickness of the washer.

I've attached a parts blow out for you engine. #33 circled in red are the washers. I'd double check all parts you see in the blow out are where they should be. Possible to upload video with engine running?

FP.jpg

Thank you for your reply ClassicAQ. There are two washers. That's why I don't understand why it is so much play for the lever!

Thank you for your reply ClassicAQ. There are two washers. That's why I don't understand why it is so much play for the lever!

Admittedly I'm not familiar with how that lever functions. But if all parts are where they should be then perhaps the lever is supposed to have a lil play. What makes you sure the clicking of the lever moving up and down is the clicking you hear when engine is running?

Admittedly I'm not familiar with how that lever functions. But if all parts are where they should be then perhaps the lever is supposed to have a lil play. What makes you sure the clicking of the lever moving up and down is the clicking you hear when engine is running?

I'm not 100% sure, but the sound appearing when I manually jiggle the lever upp and down, are very similar to the sound when engine is running. Do you have another idea what could cause a ticking sound?

Take a video and post here of the engine running with top cowling off. The audio is what's most important. And if possible, have a friend increase/decrease throttle while in neutral, as well as shifting into forward and reverse gear.

Back