Logo

87 Bayliner 2.3 OMC Reverse not engaging with throttle lever

Bum

So, recently the throttle will not engage reverse. When I try to put the boat in reverse it just clicks until the motor revs. Forward still works like normal. I have had the boat for 10 years now and it has always clicked before going into gear.

Ok bear with me as I don't know the terms for these parts. I went out and put the muffs on and used my hand to move the cable lever mechanism and reverse would engage. Using my hand I could move the cable assembly and the black notched part would move up enough that the small metal rod would move under the black notched part and reverse would engage.

I could engage forward with the throttle lever like normal, and the black notched part would move down enough to push the metal rod under it and forward would engage.

What exactly do I need to adjust to get the black notched part to move the top metal rod to engage reverse with the throttle?

Hope I explained that well enough.

Attached is a picture of what I'm working with.
IMG_20170925_181723.jpg

This is a pic of the lever assembly, if I push the lever with the red shaft connected reverse will engage.

Thanks for any help offered!

IMG_20170926_192550.jpg

Ok, so I think I solved my issue. I unhooked the cable with the red end and extended it by spinning it down the treads about 1/8". Then I shot some PB Blaster on the black notched mechanism that moves when I shift and after installing everything back together it now seems to shift once again. Not sure if the cable adjustment or the PB Blaster was the fix, but either way I will take it!

How much slop is there in the shift cable? Could be the cable or controls need service. When you get down time pull the control box apart and replace any bushings that need be and grease it up good and replace the cable if it is hard to move by hand when you disconnect both ends. The PB blaster and adjustment just sounds like a band aid you want it to shift fully into both forward and reverse or you can damage the clutch dog and gears.

Back