Logo

top mount control handle push button use/yellow&red striped wires

Throttle opens when shifted into reverse, but only when the handle's spring loaded button is held in.
Throttle opens when shifted into forward without having to touch the handle's button.
Is this normal, and is there a way to open throttle in reverse without having to press in the handle's button?
Also, the yellow&red striped wires may be for choke primer, but my ignition module has the primer switched by key press, so can I ignore those 2 yellow&red striped wires?
I can't find an instruction manual for this box.
Thanks for your help.

8M0059686.jpg

the yellow/red wires is start in gear protection. It sounds like the cables or the handle are not installed correctly- follow the instructions in the manual

the yellow/red wires is start in gear protection. It sounds like the cables or the handle are not installed correctly- follow the instructions in the manual
Thanks ChannelCat.
Cables aren't installed yet, and maybe the handle installation is incorrect.
The new 60 hp was supplied to the local boat shop with this 'top mount' control box.
The boat shop offered a straight swap for a Generation 1 side mount box, but then the cable barrels were wrong, so I swapped back for the top mount control, and the only instructions I have are the ones printed on the box.
If the handle's center button could be permanently pressed, it could allow me to shift into reverse with enough throttle to apply the brakes. Otherwise, I could have to take my left hand off of the wheel to press the button...
I've declined the warranty, because the boat needed work, and the shop insisted on a lake test, which I would rather do myself.

Last edited:
It is a boat you can take your hand off the steering wheel for more than a few seconds. The yellow/red stripe wires are for the neutral safety switch so you cannot start it in gear. The neutral lock is also a safety device to keep you from slamming the gears. Get a good set of controls that has the release on the handle as well as the trim/tilt button.

It is a boat you can take your hand off the steering wheel for more than a few seconds. The yellow/red stripe wires are for the neutral safety switch so you cannot start it in gear. The neutral lock is also a safety device to keep you from slamming the gears. Get a good set of controls that has the release on the handle as well as the trim/tilt button.
Thanks kimcrwbr1:
The throttle linkage did pull, in reverse, after I attached the cables.
They seemed OK before I connected them to the engine, but then seemed stiff, especially shifting into reverse.
Tomorrow, I'll tighten the shift cable's barrel, to push its end slightly more toward reverse.
I'll also try the (current) throttle cable to shift, in case the current shift cable is stiffer for some reason.
Both cables at the control box have their barrels in the same housing slot.

Motor should be RUNNING when you operate / play with control box.---Or have an assistant turn the prop !

Thanks racerone.
The motor was in forward when I received it, so I pulled the plastic linkage forward to click into neutral, thinking that was the first step to install the cables, which were then at the boat shop.
Is final positioning/adjusting of the 2 cable barrels under the cowl best done on the lake, or with water supply muffs on the driveway?

Back