Logo

Cant find a replacement key switch

My key switch fell apart this weekend. The housing fell out the back of the mount at 50 miles offshore. Had to hold the outer housing with one hand and turn the key with the other to get the motor started. Just a little pucker trying to figure out what was wrong and get it started again. I can find the whole panel key switch combo for a bit over a couple hundred bucks. but I only really need the key portion of the assembly.

My panel looks like this. (2003 Honda 225) Boats.nets doesnt show my key switch in my normal go to parts order place.

k1.jpg

The key out the back of the assembly

k2.jpg

Key switch has 6 prongs but only 5 of them have wires attached to them

k3.jpg

The wires from the key to to two plugs, one has 4 connectors, the other has two, then there are two other black single wires

k4.jpg

k5.jpgk6.jpg

I have googled honda key switch and ignitions to death and cant find just the key switch portion of the assembly that I could plug in and slide thru the panel from the back. Has anybody bought a key switch only, or resolve the problem with a key switch falling out of the assembly?

Looks like some metal parts between the key switch and panel have gone over the rusty rainbow bridge to never return, allowing the switch to fall out of the panel.

Any help finding a key switch would be appreciated.

When I couldnt find the switch by itself I thought I might hear what you told me. :(

Maybe a little 3m 5200 to hold the key switch in place and not twist, then put the plastic nut back over the front. (I hate not doing things right, almost as much as I hate parting with money)

Roger that. Heck - try it. It just might work. Would consider using JB Weld instead of 5200. That stuff works really well bonding stuff together.

I'm probably missing something but just trying to help.
I found this:

37552-ZW7-1A

Replacement ignition switch for all Honda key switch panels except Japan original equipment and 8d through 20d

$32 and change at boats.net

Could you make this work?

It's like I used to say when I would step down off of the Snap On tool truck:

It's only money and it only hurts for a little while.

ALSO, peace of mind that the right thing is going to take place when you get ready to move 50 miles out is a sweet thing.

Back