Logo

Shouldn’t my Cobra SX outdrive tilt further?

I do not have a separate tilt/trim switch. When tilting up, it goes to the position showed in the picture and stops. At this point, the hydraulic pump clearly changes tone like it is no longer moving fluid, or said differently, like it cannot do anything more. First pic is of foot. Second is of ram. I think the ram should extend further and the foot should be further from the ground. Thoughts?

797CDCFB-AD92-47D8-BBA9-CCCBB7252D80.jpeg

7FE4AF87-6BB2-45DD-ADDE-4A34901B6378.jpeg

There is a manual release valve for lifting the drive when you have pump issues. Put the drive all the way down and then turn the manual release valve and see how far you can lift it by hand? What kind of angle is the transom/ transom plate show a side view of the drive and transom.

When you do get this sorted out........ you will extend the life of your bellows by raising the drive no more than necessary.
In other words, once it has cleared the ground..... stop.
While being stored, lower the drive again.

(a drive that is fully raised and is stored in that position, places the under-side of the bellows under unnecessary stress!)

As it turns out, my model year does not have the manual release valve. What should I do?

Is there anywhere that has the specifications of the hydraulic rams? I could easily figure out if it is not going all the way if I had these numbers.

I just checked the fluid level, it is full.

Looking at the manual for the models without the manual release valve you need to loosen the hydraulic fittings at the pump. You cannot service the cylinders they must be replaced. Even the experienced mechanic with special tools find it difficult to take them apart. Put a drip pan and rags to catch the oil it could be a wiper in the cylinder/s causing the problem. It says right on the part description for the cylinder is 10.5 inches from the end cap to the pivot pin full extension.

Is there a L on the trim rod eyelet? there are two different lengths from the end cap to the center of the pivot pin 8 inches or 10.5 inches. Pull the pivot pin and see if the drive lifts up further than that?

Back