Logo

350 XL (1997) alarm/safe mode....?

Blackfin27

Contributing Member
My engines have run well this season so far.....ran about 38 miles off and my starboard alarm goes off ( 3250 rpm ) and the engine started to cut back so I pulled the throttles back and at about 2000 rpm the alarm quit.

All gauges read normal, checked levels all ok. Trolled for a while thinking maybe cooling down would help...tried to run up again and the same happened.

(Long ride home ugh...but at least twins )

Back in the slip revved up and at 2000/ 2200 the alarm went off and engine throttled itself back, repeat and same result. All gauges still normal.

What might be the culprit ? (fuel filters pretty new)...bad sensor ?

Thanks.

is this the stand alone alarm (oil pressure/coolant & gear temp) or the MEFI controller alarm?

As far as I know its the stand alone alarm....since my engines are throttle body type.

I had a similar experience 2 years ago and it was a faulty oil pressure sensor...my mechanic thinks its a bad sensor...

if its the same alarm that sounds with the key ON and engine OFF, I'd agree....in that case, the only item on that alarm loop that doesn't have a gauge is the gear's overtemp switch.....I'd be inclined to check the gear's temp on the next outing...

if its the same alarm that sounds with the key ON and engine OFF, I'd agree....in that case, the only item on that alarm loop that doesn't have a gauge is the gear's overtemp switch.....I'd be inclined to check the gear's temp on the next outing...

Yes, its the ON alarm bell when keyed. How do I check that temp for the gear ?

It alarmed at 2200 + back in the slip out of gear....

IR gun would be easiest.....I'd check the gear's oil cooler and the case, on the top, where the outlet hose is - right next to the overheat switch...

if its not the gear switch, there's the coolant overheat switch and the oil pressure switch.....they are all in parallel so any one can turn on the alarm....

IR gun would be easiest.....I'd check the gear's oil cooler and the case, on the top, where the outlet hose is - right next to the overheat switch...

if its not the gear switch, there's the coolant overheat switch and the oil pressure switch.....they are all in parallel so any one can turn on the alarm....

According to my mechanic this engine does not have sensor for the gear oil temp....

that may be....obviously, something is completing the circuit and turning on the alarm...

Thanks...going to install new temp and oil sensors....just taking a shot. This only just happened after a 3 hour +/- cruise at 3250.
That is the longest cruise trip yet without a stop to fish etc.

Anyway will advise.

Changed the temp sensor and no problems so far, although all trips have been near shore 4/6 mile runs.

Same engine (starboard) has some black smoke ( mostly start-up, I dont see it running much) and some exhaust sheen. The transom has some soot stains near the exhaust port only this side. The engine runs fine, but the smoke seems to be more pronounced. This same engine also burns more oil.

Thoughts?

So you changed the switches to mitigate the alarm horn going off?

They are injected so I'd be inclined to get a scan tool and see what the computer gets for inputs....a leaking injector is another possibility....

Black smoke usually indicates a rich condition; oil burning usually yields blue smoke....

Back