Logo

1996 javelin 389 jonhson 175 sudden loss of power

Mike389

Sat i was running to next fishing spot and crossed over some choppy waters at 50mph when i suddenly lost power. Yhought maybe something came loose so i checked wires and plugs. No luck. It fires right up and idles fine but when put in gear and apply power is just boggs dwn. Its a 96 javelin bass boat with johnson faststrike 175. Always runs good and this is first issue ive had. It never overheated either. Shifts fine both ways as well. So yesterday i checked everything i can think of. No cracks leaks or any visual problems. Im totally stumped. Any ideas or suggestions on what else to check would be great.

I did the spart gap test and found one cylinder had no spark, ordered new coil. Checked compression on all cyl and 100-110 on all 6. Hope this is it. Just surprised that it wouldnt have any power except at idle with only 1 cyl dwn.

Ok...got new coil in today and now No spark on btm 2 clyinders. Swapped out a coil that i know wrks and still nothing. What would cause only 2 clynders to not fire? Does anyone have a link for a wiring diagram on the coil system?

Back