Logo

2004 Johnson 115hp bombarded

Bowie1980

Can anyone tell me the shift rod measurement is from the surface of the lower to the hole in the shift rod the model no is J115pxsor please help a brickies turned home boat mechanic

The shift rod measurement is from the surface of the lower unit that mates with the mid-section to the center of the hole in the rod. I just went through this ordeal on my '96 Evinrude 150.

I would strongly encourage you to make a tool for measuring the height. I used a piece of 3/4"x3/4" angle steel that was about 3/32" thick. The piece was square on both ends so it set cleanly on the LU, I measured my exact shift rod height, drilled a 3/16" hole at that location, then secured a 3" #8 machine screw into place with a nut and lock washer.

This tool allowed me to hold it perfectly parallel to the shift rod and thread it in and out until I had the screw precisely in the middle of the hole. The length of the 3" screw allows the bottom of the tool to set out away from the water pump.

KJ

The shift rod measurement is from the surface of the lower unit that mates with the mid-section to the center of the hole in the rod. I just went through this ordeal on my '96 Evinrude 150.

I would strongly encourage you to make a tool for measuring the height. I used a piece of 3/4"x3/4" angle steel that was about 3/32" thick. The piece was square on both ends so it set cleanly on the LU, I measured my exact shift rod height, drilled a 3/16" hole at that location, then secured a 3" #8 machine screw into place with a nut and lock washer.

This tool allowed me to hold it perfectly parallel to the shift rod and thread it in and out until I had the screw precisely in the middle of the hole. The length of the 3" screw allows the bottom of the tool to set out away from the water pump.

KJ
Can you tell me the measurements mine would be

J115PXSOR

Having NOT kept up with the model number coding, a curious question here.

Would the year coding be SO (2005) with the "R" being a factory run number, or OR (2004) as indicated by Bowie1980?

If "OR"....... PXS = ?

Last edited:
Can you tell me the measurements mine would be
I don't know. Mine was 21 1/4" but the length has varied among models, years, etc.

I found this old thread but it doesn't list the 2004 engine. I would assume since you have a Johnson that it's carb'd and not an Etec engine?

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...ift-rod-adjustment-how-much-involved-115-2003

According to JWMarine's post in that thread it looks like yours might be 21 1/4", but I can't say for sure. Someone with 2004 factory service manual will have to look up the exact value to be absolutely sure.

KJ

J115PXSOR

Having NOT kept up with the model number coding, a curious question here.

Would the year coding be SO (2005) with the "R" being a factory run number, or OR (2004) as indicated by Bowie1980?

If "OR"....... PXS = ?

"SO" = 2005.

"PX" = P, power trim and tilt, X, 25" lower unit

That would make his shift rod height at least 25", or surely not the 21 1/4" referenced above.

If that 21 1/4" length is right for the 20" engine, then for the 25" engine I would be expecting 26 1/4".

Back