Logo

Left Manifold Running Hot

Mako/matta,

Thanks for the info! I believe these engines sat for about 5-6yrs. I've got the starboard engine running like a champ. Just trying to dial in the port, it's come down to the manifolds, risers and/or elbows. Should I dive into removing the exhaust manifolds or just the elbows/risers? Are the elbows and risers fresh or raw water cooled. The exhaust manifolds are freshwater(coolant) cooled on crusaders? A lot of steam coming out of exhaust and the reservoir fills up so I believe the temp is running the coolant throught the 7psi cap into the reservoir. 7 degrees per 1 pound of pressure is what I've been told. Thanks again.

The manifolds are on the closed system side so they have coolant running through them. The elbows are definitely raw water cooled and should be replaced every 5-6 years. Your riser (I don't have any on my engines) can be either fresh or raw water depending on the system you have. If they are raw water then you should change them. Make sure you drain down enough coolant so when you take off the riser/elbow you do not spill coolant into the exhaust passage. Your manual should tell you what kind of cooling system you have.

The manifolds are on the closed system side so they have coolant running through them. The elbows are definitely raw water cooled and should be replaced every 5-6 years. Your riser (I don't have any on my engines) can be either fresh or raw water depending on the system you have. If they are raw water then you should change them. Make sure you drain down enough coolant so when you take off the riser/elbow you do not spill coolant into the exhaust passage. Your manual should tell you what kind of cooling system you have.
Thanks Matta, good info. Much appreciated.

Matta/Mako, is it possible to boil/rod out the old elbows? I tried cleaning/flushing them but the passage is narrow on the exit side. Do mechanics generally just buy new ones? In doing some research, are all the crusader elbows the same dimension (height)? I noticed a comment saying some elbows were bigger than others so measure first depending on your application. I've been using Marine Parts Source for parts, do you have any recommendations. Thank you.

is it possible to boil/rod out the old elbows? I tried cleaning/flushing them but the passage is narrow on the exit side. Do mechanics generally just buy new ones?

Ayuh,.... Tryin' to clean 'em out is a recipe for disaster,....

All that Junk yer tryin' to dig out, Used to be solid cast iron, that's rusted off in chunks,....

The remainin' cast iron is that much thinner,....
When to thin, it leaks water into the motor,.....

Elbows are cheap compared to new motors,.....

like Bondo said, cleaning them at this point is false economy.....

As far as size goes, there are two elbows (for the log style) that I know of. the difference is in the hose size - most are 3" but I've been told there are 4" ones.

The risers are a bit different....they used to be offered in many heights though I'm pretty sure the standard 4" part is easy to find.

Get the right gaskets, and put them on correctly, and that's about all thats left...

Back