Logo

Mariner 6E9 paint

The decal is so faded I'm not sure which type is correct.

zEnGhtTl.jp
zEnGhtTl.jpg

Tempo used to make the exact colour match paint but they discontinued it.

When they were bought out by Moeller they never picked up the colour either - probably not enough demand.

With a bit of looking there is a Mercury/Tohatsu "grey" that is kinda close.

The mid 1980's Evinrude "silver" is kinda sorta close as well (and is in production) and if you painted the entire motor only a true connoisseur would be able to look at it and say it was a little light.

If you only are looking to "touch up", unless you want to find a place that will custom match automotive paint (or the like) you will be out of luck.

This is what the decals looked like when the colours were still there:

Mariner.jpg

I took my Mariner which looked like this when I got it -

61f9_3.jpg

And turned it into this - no, not the "right" decals or paint colour, but I was happy with the results.
(Tohatsu Grey paint and custom decals from Garzon Studio)

Outboard 028.jpg

Nice job, galamb. I spent half of yesterday and today trying to figure out which decal it had originally and finally ordered the rainbow type off ebay but yours is starting to make me think I ordered the wrong one. I talked to Mercury and several other people on the phone and they could only guess. A guy at Yamaha said to try a local Merc dealer for paint which I'll try tomorrow. The upside is the motor is in very good shape except for the hood and the price was so low I didn't bother to haggle about it.

Thanks anyhow. The closest I've come to the paint is a chart from Mercury. Probably have to buy two or three different cans to know which one matches.

jf5V2W9l.jpg

A better view of the mystery decal.

n0wt0b4l.jpg

Called Mercury about the chart and another guy said part number 92-802878-14 is Mariner Light Grey spray can for 1984 and up. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
The Mariner light grey sounds correct - your serial makes your model a 1985, longshaft, with factory electric start.

The decal was Orange with a white strip around the border. The place I mentioned, Garzon Studio (can google them and the site will come up) also does original decals as well as custom stuff. Maybe have a look and compare prices. Dario, the "one man shop" makes some excellent decals. I have been using him for years and have a few (hoods) out there with his decals on that have been there for over 10 years (actually probably closer to 15 years) and the decals are still in decent shape for living outside.

Thanks galamb. I thought the serial number would give the specific decal but the guy at garzon can't seem to say which one it is so far. This morning I remembered a patch of color somewhere on it. It's still laying in my Montero from when I bought it Sunday so I turned it over and there it was with square corners so I'm thinking it must be the rainbow style.

K7NS0y2l.jpg

Last edited:
This change over to tiller looks a little more complicated than I thought. The remote wiring has a 7-wire cable and the Seloc manual I bought doesn't go into a lot of detail on any of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There appears to be a 7-wire connector under the hood just above the shift lever.

pEqL7tFh.jpg

Last edited:
Back