Logo

2000 DF40 hitting rev limiter. Possibly limp mode?

Cjdauthier

Hope someone can help me on this. I've got a 2000 DF40 that is hitting the rev limiter (i think) whether in the water or on the hose. It hits 3k and drops back, but not lighting up the rev limiter light. Maybe it's in limp mode?

Anyway, I had an issue last year with neutral safety switch on motor breaking. I bypassed it since I've got one on the control anyway. Motor hasn't really been on the water in basically a year. I took it out the other day and couldn't get it above 3k rpms.

I have a parts motor so I changed ECUs to see if it was a problem there. Immediately doing the same thing. Leads me to believe it is a switch and not limp mode?

Control mounted neutral switch is operating properly in that it won't start unless in neutral.

Ive traced and checked just about every wire on the motor to find a short or something. All looks good. I'm just throwed off since I changed the ECU and it's doing the exact same thing as if it were the neutral safety switch malfunctioning.

any ideas for other switches/sensors that would cause this?

There is a switch for START IN GEAR protection.-------And there is a switch to prevent high rpm when motor is running in nuetral.

There is a switch for START IN GEAR protection.-------And there is a switch to prevent high rpm when motor is running in nuetral.
Any idea where that switch is at, and what it is called? The only switch I could find was the neutral switch located just behind the linkage.

Possible faulty temp switch or oil pressure switch throwing it into limp mode? Clean all electrical connectors with electrical cleaner and put back together with dielectric grease.

Last edited:
Back