Logo
Click for Nissan Tohatsu Manuals, and Parts!

Default Tohatsu 6 HP starts then stops

I last ran my 2010 Tohatsu MFS 6B outboard in May. At that time I ran all the fuel out. I pulled it out last weekend to start it and it started right up, ran for a couple of minutes then died. I started it again and it ran for 10 seconds or so and died. It did this several times then would not start at all. (I AM USING FRESH GAS.) Today I pulled it out again and it started right up and ran for a few minutes but only with the choke out. If I put the choke in it would sputter. It finally quit and would not start again. I took the carb off and took it apart. The bowl was clean with no residue. I did notice that when I turned it upside down and blew through the gas inlet I got a lot of resistance--like it was clogged. I took the float and the valve off and I cleaned out the line using a bread tie wrap (someone suggested that) and then blew compressed air through the inlet. It never felt like I was getting a lot of air through the line. ANyway I put it all back together and still no start. So I loosened the drain screw for the bowl and there was fuel in the bowl. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Default Re: Tohatsu 6 HP starts then stops

Most likely a fuel issue, so my first reaction is to clean the carb. Never push anything through any carb passages. Of course the fuel inlet didn't flow when inverted; that's when the float valve is closed. Of course, check for spark, etc. What does the plug look like?
    Paul
    Buffalo NY USA

Paul, thanks for your reply. I cleaned the the carb and put a new spark plug in and it started up. I was wrong when I said I inverted the carb and air would not flow through it. It would not flow in its normal position. I am surprised that when you do the proper long term storage procedures you can still get a gummed up carb. Anyway, all is well now and again thanks for your reply.

Yep; it all depends on the fuel you were running. Most US fuels are pretty dirty these days.
    Paul
    Buffalo NY USA