Logo

Honda Bf 90 d engine block removal

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
hi i need to remove the engine block as i found water in the flywheel compartment. i would like to know which gasket and if needed seals i have to buy.
my outboard serial no is BBCJ-1015983.
thanks Jason

When you say "water in the flywheel compartment" do you mean just immediately up under the flywheel itself or throughout the entire engine compartment under the removable hood?

Do you know exactly where the water is coming from? There is a large sealing bolt with oring at the top end of the block. It would be a shame to go through all that bother if it's something simple like that. See items #1 & 2 in the link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... Later/BF90DK0 LHTA/CYLINDER BLOCK/parts.html

In this same illustration there is the thermostat, it's cover and seal. Another place to inspect for cooling water leakage prior to tearing everything apart.

Not trying to flame you, just trying to understand the issue you're having.

No it is not a water leak that course water to enter in the flywheel compartment but it was till tale pipe that got stuck and full filled the under cowling with salt water and water entered in there i have sprayed a lot of penetrating oil from where there is the starter motor i decided to remove the engine block to check for flywheel corrosion. What do you think shal i take the engine of or respray another lot of penetrating oil??

I would hit it with some "SaltAway" or a white vinegar and water solution to make sure that most of the salt crystals are neutralized.

Then hit it with your penetrating oil again and then wipe up as much of it as you can.

If you have compressed air, use it to dry out all the nooks and crannies like up under the flywheel.

If you know what you're doing, you can remove the flywheel to make sure you get everything clean and dry up under there.

But, if you don't have the puller or have never done it before, just use the compressed air and keep it simple. It should clean up well enough that way.

WAY, WAY better than taking the engine apart!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

On second thought, you may not even need a puller to remove the flywheel on that engine.

Just make dang sure you get the timing RIGHT when you go back together if you do decide to take the flywheel off.

If you don't have a shop manual, mark the belt and pulleys before you loosen anything up.

Happy wrenching!

as it is a big job first i will remove the starter and take a look with an endoscope camera and if there is no rust i will not remove the engine gust re treat it with same penetrating oli as my only problem is if there could be rusting

Back