Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Thread: 1971 Mercury 75

Default 1971 Mercury 75

Hello, to all, from Southern Colorado!!! I am hoping to find some help in locating replacement coils for a recently acquired 1971 7.5hp Mercury motor. I purchased a 12 ft. aluminum boat (decent shape), trailer (not much), and this 7.5 for $250. I knew I was taking a chance on this motor, but figured for $250 I could invest a little money, if necessary, and still be ok. I have ordered insulation blocks, which will be here tomorrow, and soldered new wires on to the screws that attach to the points, the existing were rotted. I have attempted to test the coils, and get no resistance through any of the windings !!! Wondering if I am testing them correctly. Anyone have a source for the proper testing procedure? Assuming the coils are bad, is there a current source for replacement coils for this motor? I have been unsuccessful on the internet. I would like to get this old girl running, and am having a bit of fun in troubleshooting her problems, just don't wanna spend more than the cost of a new motor to get it done. Thanks for your help.

Gary

Default Re: 1971 Mercury 75

Replacement coils are available on E-Bay and Amazon. About 30 bucks each. You should see SOME resistance on a good coil.

Jeff

fastjeff, thank you for the reply. Aren't the coils I am seeing online for electronic ignitions?? Mine is a point system.

Gary

Points? It has a distributor, right, but also a switch box (located in front of the carbs).

I'm confused. Merc made a 65, 70 and 80 and 85 hp back then. How many cylinders is your motor?

Jeff

???----He has a 7.5 hp !

Jeff, racerone is correct. Motor is a 2 cyl., 7.5 hp with 2 sets of contact points.

Gary

Ooooohhh! Seven POINT five. Different animal.

Jeff

PS: Curse Carl Kiekhaefer for adapting that dopey hp times ten nomenclature! I wonder how many 'Merc 200s' were confused with 20 hp vs 200 hp (and visa versa). HNow about you? Ever get them mixed up, eh?

fastjeff, I, too, find the model numbers confusing or, at least, misleading!!! An update on the 7.5 Merc. Received the insulation blocks, from CDI, and got them installed with little trouble. Set the points at .020", a bit of a pain!!! I soldered ignition wire to each of the ground wires on the coils and attached them to a solid ground on the motor. I did not feel the method of running them on the outside of the rubber coil insulators and hoping they would properly ground to the housing was very efficient. Got the rest of the motor reassembled, and now have a very robust spark from both coils. I will, hopefully, be trying to start this motor today. I will report back on my progress

Good work!

I hope you removed the kill switch from the circuit, for operating it is what destroys PM ignition systems. You can, instead, idle her down and pull the choke to shut it off.

Jeff

PS: The singles with PM ignition don't have a kill switch and they are far more reliable.

Good evening, folks. I am writing a final update on my new, to me, 1971 7.5hp Model 75 Mercury motor. After re-working the ignition wires, and getting strong spark to both cylinders, I found I was not getting fuel. Ordered rebuild kits for the carb and fuel pump, from Marine Engine, and rebuilt both. After cleaning and installation, I primed the fuel system and had to pull the starter rope a total of four times before the motor sprung to life!!!! She now purrs like a kitten. Thanks to all on this forum who helped me figure this out. Sure glad we can still get parts for these old ladies. I am proud to have her on my 14 ft. boat. Thanks to Old Mercs, and Marine Engine for having repair parts available, also. Just picked up a '79 9.9hp Evinrude for my next project!!!

Glad to hear it. Those are great running little motors that never got the respect they deserve (thanks to the emphasis on Merc's larger motors).

Jeff