Logo

1992 40hp blown 20amp fuse & fried red rectifier wire

vandenburgh

Contributing Member
Any ideas as to what might cause these two issue - blown fuse and fried red wire to rectifier (at least I think it is the rectifier in pic)..do I just have a bad rectifier or would the burned up red wire to rectifier and blown fuse be an indication of another problem? Motor was in shop at beginning of season and the primer pump was replaced and I also noticed they put in new fuse & fuse holder. Not sure if there could be any relation to the work and current issue? Any help / insight appreciated! ThxIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0013.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

I found info on another site and some old threads that suggests issue could be bad battery connection (I was using wing nuts) or perhaps battery leads may have been attached incorrectly even for a moment (don't think so), battery could have a bad cell, or a short somewhere. Also suggested stator could also be fried, not just rectifier. Ordered a new rectifier - maybe it will rectify my problem��. Any comments welcome.

Updating this from couple years back - family health issues forced me off the water...leads definitely not reversed as motor started and running when I smelled electrical smoke....I replaced rectifier over the winter which was very easy amd cheap fix and that took care of problem. Boat didn’t make it back into water until 2019 - I have put about 20hrs on motor since the fix and all seems fine.

Back